chapter 5

˚ ˚
illuminate my pores and
you tear me apart
mercy on me, would you please
spare me tonight?

Everyday felt like a nightmare.

Lana woke up at dawn every morning to start training. Over and over. She had become a mindless drone surrounded by her worst traits.

After a prolonged day of torture, or was it multiple days?

Days. Hours. Years. Many years? Months. An hour. Two hours.

Time has started combining and fading and starting over, deja vu.

Lana looked out the stone coloured hallway, a patch of light staring back at her. That's when she heard the cries.

It was high pitched- like a baby but quieter.

Lana immediately recognised this. A part of humanity entered her body and system, a feeling she'd almost forgotten.

"Why'd you do that mom?"

The old memory played in her mind until it all consumed her. She had no control over her body when she reached for the exposure of light.

Lana was strong but she didn't know she could tear this building apart, brick by brick.

Her hands were covered in cuts and dirt but she didn't care or notice, she just had to get to that crying noise.

But when she saw the outside there was nothing there. It was just more building- more of this horrid building.

"No.." Lana whispered. That's when more of Hydras agents came behind her, looking at her smugly. She fell to her knees, completely hopeless.

"Oh Lana..you're doing so well with your training and seeing you do this. Break apart a building, you impress us."

Lana only looked down with her face scrunched up and red with tears coming down from her bloodshot eyes. She didn't want to impress them. She wanted to leave. "You're lying, I heard it there was a cat." She looked up at the agents when she said this.

"Outside, I heard it!" She knew she looked a mess and it only made her more upset, gazing at the pitying faces of the men around her, laughing at her like she'd gone crazy.

"Cool device right? After scanning your nerves and planting a small chip in your brain, we knew what would access your full potential strength. What we didn't know is that you had a soft spot for cats." The man laughed mocking the girl.

Lanas breath was shaky, she didn't know what to say- she really thought she had a chance of escaping. A chance of a somewhat normal life, the life she had before all this.

Her eyes then widened, looking up at them. "A chip?" When she didn't get an answer she stood up strongly. "What do you mean a chip?" She repeated, her voice starting to raise.

"Woah calm down honey." A man chuckled stepping back. The second man was now standing behind Lana, placing her wrists in a thick belt.

Lana wasn't crazy, but the way they treated her, the way they had to contain her when she made any movements. It really made her feel like she was going completely insane.

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes- trying to prove she was calm.

"You're lucky Lana. That was the lightest capability this chip can go to. It's more powerful that you will ever be and we did it just for you. So what do you say?" He continued, stepping closer to the now handcuffed girl.

Her eyes met him now, she swallowed before whispering "Thank you."