chapter 19

˚ ˚
i can still smell the fire though
i know it's long died out
the smoke still hangs in my hair

The compound was situated relatively close to Hydra, so it didn't take the two very long to find it. Yet, it did take them a while to prepare to see it all again.

Wanda especially. Every bad memory and awful traumatic moment had been born in that building. Every mind staining mistake she ever made was because of that building, and every vivid evocation of tenderness and love came from that building.

Lana could see this on Wanda's face. Although the two weren't the best of friends, she still felt like putting her through the feeling of Hydra again was something too harsh.

"Okay, I'll go inside and look for anything that could be useful to us. You stand watch." Lana commanded, seeing a small moment of relief on the girls face yet slight worry for her old companion, nodding subtly.

Lana started to climb atop of the building until she reached her destination.

The teen, now on the roof, looked for any small opening, until seeing a sun roof creating an opportunity for the girl.

When peering in, she saw a room she recognised. A room they would go in when given a mission. All in neat rows stood the names of agents, one being Lana's which was never removed.

Seeing it from above was a strange sensation, it felt like she had escaped and she had never left all at once. Like her finally leaving was Hydra's plan and they know she's coming back.

She silently used the tips of her fingers to see the support of the glass she was looking through. When she noticed it's sturdiness she knew she wouldn't be able to just break it.

Instead she pulled out a small pocket knife she was carrying in her back pocket.

Carefully and slowly cutting the edges of rubber, surrounding the glass until using her fingertips once again to lift the glass up, placing it on the roof, and lowering herself down onto the ground.

She was holding her breath while doing this, trying to be as silent as possible. When landing she released her breath and looked around.

She stepped closer to the drawers, names labelled on them, most she didn't recognise at all, until she spotted her own.

She started to open the compartment, slightly scared of what she'd find in there. She didn't remember the missions Hydra had her do, and she didn't really want to know.

Suddenly, Lana heard footsteps.

She quickly closed the drawer before hiding in the corner of the room, crouching down and holding her breath once again. Trying to become completely still.

The Hydra agent walked the hallways, making sure everything's in order. He peered into the room Lana was in, scanning the circumference until walking away, not suspecting any of the activities happening.

Lana's chest deflated when she felt her presence gone, looking up at the door and went back to the drawer. She opened it quickly grabbing the top piece of paper.

"18/5/18
[ xxx address ]
Edward Elrod."

This was the only thing the paper stated. Lana furrowed her eyebrows before taking a picture of it in the dark room, yet to her surprise, her flash was on.

At the bottom of the hall stood a guard, watching all the rooms. This was when he saw a small light coming from one room, which he saw as a threat.

Lana hurriedly placed the paper back in the drawer, closing it. She step on a counter, putting her arms on either side of the roof to push herself up. Just in time to put the glass back on the roof where it was once placed, the rubber surrounding it slightly smaller than before yet it still fit.

Her breath was fast from the anxiety, yet she was a lot faster than the average human. As well as her strength she has acquired this from her continuous Hydra training.

She ran across the roof, jumping off and hastily grabbing Wanda's wrist to get away from the Hydra building before they realised they were ever there.

"What's going on?" Wanda asked, concerned by the sudden panic.

"I'll explain it to you later, hurry!"