Chapter Nine

Kyra

*******

The days dragged on painfully slow. After my humiliating interview with the Northern Royals, I'd noticed a change in the way my friend's treated me. Azure, it seemed, couldn't stand to be in my presence, only giving me one-worded answers to my questions before excusing herself for some made-up errand. Raina was worse. Unlike Azure, she hadn't even looked me in the eyes. 

When I lingered outside my door, waiting for the others to escort me to breakfast, only Azure arrived. When I asked after Raina, she only sent me a dark look, and that was answer enough -- Raina wasn't coming with us today, just as she hadn't these past few days. 

I wanted to check up on her, and had insisted on doing so several times, but Azure always stopped me with nothing more than a look. "She's figuring herself out," she'd tell me. "Give her time." But even as she said it, I could hear the restrain in her voice -- the resentment towards our green-eyed friend. It was why I never pushed the matter. 

Today, however, I'd try not to think about that. Blowing out a breath, I nodded to Azure, and that began our long walk down the winding halls. Thankfully, I had started to memorize my way around -- at least to my chambers and back. We were on the fourth level, which meant three staircases and double that number in halls and corridors. I didn't mind. I liked the way my mind seemed to switch off as we walked, gone with the wind as my feet navigated the endless corridors on autopilot. I had the feeling Azure felt the same. 

Once we reached the dining hall -- its large doors propped open to allow the chatter to flow out and greet us -- we slipped silently inside. People didn't pay us much heed. Those we walked past turned their heads and shot us questionable looks, but other than that they just continued to eat and laugh without a care in the world. Part of me envied them. I missed being that care-free, that content. 

I sometimes caught Azure glaring at them in a way that made me wonder if she felt the same way, too. 

Once we sat, we kept to ourselves as those around us found it in themselves to tolerate our presence. After a few minutes of glaring and tense silence, they would eventually resume what they were doing. When the Alpha stood to give the prayer -- something I'd learned to be a routinely occurrence at every meal -- I was almost surprised every time when a tall figure didn't barge through those doors. There was no reason I should have -- I hadn't seen the Delta since the interrogation, not even at meals. Still, I waited with anticipation, staring out those doors as though he would just appear out of thin air.

Training with him. The Delta. The strongest werewolf known to man. It frightened some human part still left in me. 

Looking up from her pumpkin soup, Azure caught my stare. "I wouldn't place all your bets on him, Kyra," she deadpanned. I turned to her, but her eyes drifted towards the silverware she had yet to touch. After a long while of staring, she turned to me, meeting my gaze. "He's a fickle, powerful, egotistical male. Not saying he will, but don't be surprised when he doesn't fulfil his end of the deal."

I swallowed a spoonful of pumpkin, somewhat relishing in the way it burned down my throat. Azure was right, of course, and though I dreaded the day he would walk through those doors and demand my name, part of me was eager for it. If his ability to summon lightning wasn't give-away enough, then his mere aura was; he was powerful, and it was in my every interest to learn from him. 

Ice-blue flashed in my vision and I raised my head. Luna Darla stared at me, a questioning smile on her lips. I was about to send one back when an abrupt hush fell over the hall.