Chapter Twenty-Six

Raina

*******

I'd been avoiding Azure. 

I had tried to keep it on the low-down. I engaged in small talk, but always found an excuse to leave before the conversation escalated further. I stood beside her, but not close enough for her to graze me, to ignite my skin like steel to flint. I looked at her, but not long enough for those strange feelings to consume me, emotions that frightened me as much as they thrilled me. 

I pushed my head into my pillow. I didn't get it. When I looked at her, I reacted like I would when spying a cute boy. When she touched me, I would ignite like an ever-burning fire. When I was with her, I felt things I'd felt towards crushes before, but it ran deeper than even that. 

But it didn't make sense. I wasn't into girls. I was straight. I only found guys cute and only admired girls for when they were pretty. So why did Azure make me question that?

Just then, a swift knock sounded at the door. Before I could think better of it, I was standing to answer it. My mind ran over the possible options -- Kyra, the Luna, maybe even Luc. And Azure. God, please don't let it be Azure. 

It seemed luck wasn't on my side, for when I pulled the door open, she was there.

The wind left my lungs. Her ice-blonde strands glittered, even in the lack of light. Her sun-tanned skin glowed like a light source of itself. Eyes of the ocean bore into mine, slipping past my defences like water, seeing into my soul.

I staggered back. If Azure noticed my panic, she didn't pay it heed. Instead, she gave me a sheepish smile. 

"Hey, Rain. Sorry to barge in here unannounced, but I had to give you something."

Rain. I hated the thrill that came with that name. It took me a moment to register what she'd said. "Oh, yeah? Uhm..." I paused. Desire battelled in me. I wanted her to leave and take all those strange feelings with her. But another part of me, a traitorous part, wanted her to stay; yearned for her presence as it always did. 

I gave her a hopeless look. It wasn't like I could slam the door in her face. I hated the satisfaction that buzzed through me as I stepped aside. "Come in."

She ducked her head in acknowledgement, side-stepping awkwardly to continue facing me. That's when I noticed the hand behind her back, and my heart sunk. 

"Shall we?" She asked, nodding to the velvet loveseat. I hesitated for the briefest of moments before nodding. Without a word, we walked over and settled into the plush cushions. I was careful not to fall into her when the weight pushed down on the cushion. 

For a few moments, we sat in silence; me staring at the wall as though I could burn lasers into it, and Azure sitting stiffy as though to avoid crushing whatever she hid behind her back. 

With a long sigh, Azure turned to me. "How are you feeling, Rain?"  

I stilled. Her eyes were on mine, and if I weren't examining her so closely, I may have missed the slight panic that flashed across her face. It was then that I noticed how rigid her posture was, and how her tanned skin seemed a tad whiter than usual. 

"Alright," I replied, glancing away. Tense silence settled again in the air around us, and I soon found myself fiddling with the hem of my shirt.