Chapter Thirty-Five

Kyra

******

As the day progressed, word of the festivities seemed to buzz around the court. Giggling Thetas hurried in and out of their rooms, whilst efficient Omegas went to work with the preparations outside. I watched it all unfold from the height of my window, as silver tents were erected and tables set out. 

None of it seemed real, and I couldn't seem to absorb the spirit that had spread like a plague amongst the others. It was as though no joy could reach the darkness of my room. After all, it didn't feel like there was anything to celebrate. 

But as the sun sank lower and the crowd outside became busier, I knew I couldn't sit around in my room all night. It wasn't like I was going to catch any sleep with all the lilting melodies and jovial chatter wafting through my window. Besides, Azure would be expecting me, and after everything that had happened these past few days, I didn't want to have her worrying about me as well. So, throwing on a glittering black slip dress, I left my room and made my way down the winding halls. 

When I arrived at the double doors leading to the grounds, I could already smell the cloying scent of wine and spirits. Happy chatter and soft melodies wafted up to greet me, the soft lights of the tents and lanterns drowned out by the vibrant rays of the setting sun. As I walked towards the crowd, I noticed the various tables lined with kegs and snacks, a few werewolves already pouring liquor into their glasses. Some stumbled upon even feet, whilst others engaged in sophisticated chatter, shooting the drunks disapproving looks. It was an odd dynamic for sure, but I was used to the werewolf world and all its contradictions. 

I'd just barely made it to the outskirts of the crowd when a male dressed in all black stood up on a make-shift podium. It took me a moment to realize it was Alpha Osyn. 

"Evening, citizens of the Northern Court, and welcome to tonight's celebration of Ignir!"

A cheer rose up to greet his words, but I remained silent. Next to him, I spied Luna Darla, her bright eyes matching her silver dress. Seeing the two together always sparked an odd juxtaposition. After all, how could someone so elegant and sophisticated fall for someone so vulgar and rude? 

Alpha Osyn's grin widened at the crowd's affirmation. He gestured towards the setting sun. "Tonight's sun set will mark the rebirth Ignir, our prosperous god who has watched over us and our ancestors for millennia. Tonight, we will drink in his name, and offer up our prayers of his glory!"

The crowd cheered again, and with that, Alpha Osyn stepped off the podium. Excited chatter and fluttering music started up in his wake, and I watched as he kissed Luna Darla's hand and whisked her off somewhere in the crowd. 

After a few moments of silence, I remembered my objective and began my search for Azure. I wasn't surprised to find her hanging around the outskirts of the crowd. What did surprise me was the half-empty glass in her hand, bubbling with golden liqueur. Her glassy eyes found mine.

"Kyra," she greeted, stumbling towards me. The emerald sequins on her forest-green dress flashed as she moved, her golden jewellery matching the liquid in her glass. 

"Azure. I didn't pin you as the type to drink."

Azure stared at me for a moment. Then, she scoffed, placing an arm around me. "Meee? Of course I do! I'm an alcoholic through and through."

I stared up at her lopsided smile. Oh, so she was drunk drunk. 

Azure's grin widened. "Hey, you remember that ball back at the Southern Court, where I forced you to drink some of this shit?" She swirled the liquid in her glass and chuckled. "Man, you were terrified! You acted as though I'd poisoned you."