Chapter Thirty-Eight

Kyra

*******

Several days had passed since the revel, yet in many ways it felt as though no time had passed at all. I'd spent the majority of my days in my room or out in the woods practicing fire magic, because I knew Faelen wasn't up for training me after our last encounter. It wasn't like he'd offered me a session, and I knew better than to go up and ask. Besides, he had better things to do, and I suppose that included fucking Ashleigh. I'd seen her clinging to his arm ever since the incident, and despite the strange bitterness it brought me, I couldn't help but feel wickedly satisfied by the long sleeves she wore to cover her injury.

Maybe Faelen felt my bursts satisfaction down the bond, but I didn't care. He didn't so much as look at me these days, but maybe that was a blessing, because every time our eyes did lock, anger strangled me to the point I couldn't breathe. 

I drummed my fingers upon the War Room table, analysing the pawns and their positions on the map. I'd heard that tonight there would be yet another celebration -- God, there was no end to it -- and everyone was expected to attend. Unfortunately for them, that wouldn't include me. I had better things to do than drink and dance around like a lunatic. 

I'd traced every possible move against the black pawn when I finally sighed and broke away from the table. I pushed open to double doors into the lobby, glad to find it empty. Given the time, everyone was probably wrapping up their daily activities or resting in their rooms. I was walking in the direction of the west halls when an irksome, high-pitched voice rang out behind me. 

"Oh, Epsilon!"

I halted, my teeth grinding like stone against stone. Taking in a deep breath, I whirled to find a triumphant Ashleigh striding towards me, her hips swaying promiscuously with the movement.

"What do you want?" I deadpanned, glancing behind her. Faelen was nowhere to be seen. "And where's the rest of you? You and your boytoy have been attached at the hip ever since Saturday."

Ashleigh paused a few feet away, smirking. She wore a simple white day dress with long, lacey sleeves. It would take one to look hard and good to notice the white bandage peeking under her left shoulder. 

"Falcun? Oh, he's coming. We were actually just going to grab dinner before tonight's ball!"

I rolled my eyes. Falcun. What a stupid name to go by, even if it was false. 

But then an uncomfortable thought occurred to me -- what if Faelen had given me a false name as well? No, I decided, pushing the thought away. He'd seemed so sincere when he'd told me. Even if he was an ass, even though we hated each other's guts, I just knew he was telling me the truth in that moment.

"Great," I deadpanned, allowing my eyes to slide to her shoulder. A smile slashed across my lips, and her body went rigid. "How's the shoulder holding up, dear?"

Her eyes narrowed. "It's seen better days, I suppose."

My lips curled into a bitter smirk. "Well, I hope you learned that if you play with fire, you're going to get burned."

Ashleigh was about to hit me with another remark when someone rounded the corner. I was surprised to feel my heart drop when his ebony-coloured skin gleamed in the golden light of sunset, white hair alight like fire. For a brief moment, our eyes locked, and I forgot Ashleigh was in the room. I got the feeling he did, too -- but it didn't last. Before long, his eyes were on the girl, and something in me twisted as she ran and launched herself into his arms.