Chapter Twenty

Kyra 

********

T.W. Graphic Violence, Torture

The kids were riotous.

The moment we crossed the length of the grounds towards the large group of adolescents, I knew I was in for a challenge. None of them paid us heed, and even when Osyn stopped to address them, only a few bothered to listen. 

I was astonished. Back in the Southern Court, the Thetas would always treat their superiors with respect, let alone the Alpha. And, judging by Osyn's light-lipped mouth, it seemed it wasn't an abnormal occurrence, and even with the threat of the Delta at my side, it seemed to have no effect on the chattering.

So why would they ever listen to me, a stranger from another court? Someone their seniors had likely talked down?

I was about to forget the whole training duty when I caught the Delta's gaze. His smirk lit a fire under my skin, and the glimmer in his eyes dared me to walk away. 

That wouldn't happen. With a deep breath, I faced the group and levelled my gaze.

"There's a war on the horizon. If you're not prepared, you will die."

That earned everyone's attention. A tense hush settled over the grounds as the kids turned to face me, eyes wide with shock and fear. A few squared their shoulders, regarding me with something a little closer to respect. Good. They knew I was serious.

I began to pace, tucking my hands behind my back and staring at the grasses. "Like me, you lot are young. I am only eighteen, and yet there is a difference between you and I." I glanced up, making sure to hold eye contact with as many as I killed. "How many people have you killed?"

Hushed mutterings wafted up from the crowd as some exchanged confused glances.

"None," I answered for them, that silence settling over the grounds. "That is where you and I differentiate. I have killed many, some out of colder blood than others. But it was all done for one common cause, to protect my former court. And, as the war approaches, you will be expected to do the same

"Your time as mere adolescents has come to an end. From this point on, you are warriors, warrior with honour. You will protect your home with every fibre of your being. You will do whatever it takes to ensure the safety of your mothers and fathers and siblings. Am I correct?"

I stared into the crowd again. A few had puffed out their chests, barely containing their pride at being called a warrior. Others looked worried, scared, as though they had not expected this so soon. I resisted the urge to glare at Osyn. Hadn't he been telling these kids of what was going on? On what was to come?

A scoff sounded. My gaze snapped to the offender, and I wasn't surprised to find the Delta rolling his eyes. I narrowed my gaze. 

"You lot have been lucky thus far. I lived in a court under constant attack. For good reason, perhaps, but at the time it felt like we had a target on our backs for no reason at all." I gazed into their faces, noting how a few of them had gone pale. I was thankful they were all attentive. "Back then, there was always a threat. Back then, when we were outnumbered, and people paid the price. The Omegas went first. Always."