Chapter Thirty-Nine

The halls were empty, save for the few Omegas bustling about with their tasks. I noticed how each one's eyes lingered on me, and I could understand why. With my inky black dress and silver-tipped heels, I virtually glided through the halls like liquid midnight. For the umpteenth time, I allowed myself to admire the black lace sleeves that ran the length of my arm. Its intricate thread formed the patterns of swirling flames and curling smoke. I grinned. When I'd told Luna Darla I'd wanted to make an entrance, she'd told me this dress would be perfect for me. And I knew why.

I measured my breaths as I approached the doors of the great hall, the thumps of music already penetrating its thick wood. I ran over my conversation with Luc, for how I planned this night to go down. If someone had told me this morning I would would be dressed to the teeth for the ball, I would have laughed. But now, I was determined.

Sucking in one long final breath, I pushed open the doors and allowed my magic to the surface.

Instantly, fire licked along the length of my sleeves, and through wavering vision I watched as a hundred pairs of eyes turned towards me. The flames whipped and whirled, hiding the tiny smile that tugged at the corner of my lips. Luna Darla had told me this particular material could propagate fire, and whilst I had been wary at first, the reactions of the crowd made the risk well worth it.

As the fire died down, I glanced towards the far left where the thrones lay. Luna Darla beamed at me, whilst Osyn gave me a rather sour look. My eyes slid further left towards a red velvet couch, where Faelen sat propped against the arm. His eyes were wide with subtle shock. Ashleigh sat next to him, her crimson dress matching the red flush of her face. Oh, she looked pissed. That alone brought a smirk to my face as I walked down the steps and onto the dance floor, where people parted to let me by. For a moment, with my head held high and my dress trailing behind me, I felt like a Luna again. I felt like a queen, and I relished in it.

I hadn't even filled my glass before a suitor offered me a hand. Handsome, and probably a Theta if his rugged features were any giveaway, but I took his hand all the same. I risked a glance to find Faelen staring at me, his jaw tight. I suppressed a smirk as the male pulled me into the crowd, resting his hand on my waist so we could sway to the music.

"You look gorgeous tonight, Lady Aetos," the male murmured, his green eyes sparkling as they stared into mine. I feigned a small giggle and nodded my head in appreciation.

We continued to sway until the music died down, and lifting my hand to his lips, the suitor departed. As he did, another eager suitor would jump out from the subtle crowd that had congregated me, much to the other males' dismay. He'd grab my hand and ask for the dance, and I'd take it without question. As I rotated around the room, I'd glance over to the front every now and again, satisfied to find Faelen's eyes tracking me. Ashleigh, to my great pleasure, looked more and more angered as the minutes ticked by. By the fourth or fifth suitor, however, Ashleigh had decided to take some initiative into her own hands and crawled into Faelen's lap. I tried to suppress my disgust as she sucked on his face, effectively blocking me from his view.

As though on cue, someone grabbed me and whirled around. I smiled as hazel eyes sparkled towards mine, and relief flooded through me. I was almost afraid he wouldn't come.

"Mind if I have this dance?" Luc asked, pulling my body away from the other male. The suitor, glancing between me and Luc and deciding the placement of his hands on my waist was far too intimate to be considered casual, bowed and left. I smiled at Luc as he guided my hand to his shoulder. Slowly, we began swaying to the music.

"You clean up nice," I murmured, and it was true. His navy tuxedo had not one crease in its vastness of rich material, and he'd even gone so far as to gel his hair back. Luc grinned at me.