Chapter Fifty-Nine

Kyra

My head swam with a fuzzy warmth. I grumbled into the darkness and nuzzled closer to the warm body beside me, reluctant to open my eyes to the incessant bustle of activity outside. 

A soft chuckle sounded off to my left. Then I felt an arm wrap around me, pulling me closer. I allowed it; thankful for the warmth it provided.

"Someone's not a morning person," a deep voice said. I knew that voice. I'd heard it in my dreams and in my waking hours. 

"Five more minutes," I mumbled back, though the sound was muffled by whatever body part I'd pushed my head into, making the words sound like a grumble. The male chuckled again -- his laughter vibrating through my very bones.

Finally, I opened my eyes. Tilting my head up, I found him staring back at me with a tender expression, and a giggle escaped me. Rolling over, I repositioned my head on his chest and sent my other hand on a mission to find his fingers. It didn't take long for our fingers to intertwine, and I could feel the pull of sleep dragging back under. I hadn't felt so damn relaxed in a long while, and this was too nice to pass up.

He leaned down, trailing a path of kisses along my hairline until his mouth reached my ear. "Don't give up me now, Kyra. Not when you're almost awake."

I snorted, my eyes fluttering shut. "Make me."

I sensed him grinning against my ear. Then, with a hot flush of air, he began nibbling on the shell of my ear, sending shivers down my spine. I let out a soft moan, my body responding keenly to his teasing touch.

He pulled back slightly, his lips hovering just above my ear. "You asked for it," he whispered seductively before his lips met mine in a passionate kiss. It was a slow, lingering kiss filled with desire and longing, making every nerve in my body tingle with anticipation.

As our lips finally parted, he smiled down at me, his eyes filled with affection. "Good morning, Kyra." 

I smiled back, feeling utterly content in his arms. Everything about this felt so natural, so right. "Good morning," I whispered, before snuggling closer to him, ready to savour every moment of this lazy morning together.

"Nu-uh," Faelen teased, pushing me off him and rolling to sit up at the foot of the bed. I let out a grunt of disapproval as I glared at him as best I could among the sheets, which earnt me nothing but a snort. Which made sense -- I probably looked like an angry puppy. 

"Where are you going?" I whined as he stood up, the sunlight filtering through the window casting a golden light over his skin. I allowed my eyes a shameless roam of his gorgeous, naked body. 

"Getting dressed." His smile widened. I could tell he was heavily amused by reaction. "The war doesn't stop just because you want to stay in bed for five more minutes, Kyra. Come on -- chop, chop."

I groaned. "Come on. You were doing so well."

Faelen sniggered at that. Instead of answering, he sent me a wink and stalked towards his wooden dresser. I tracked his movements with my gaze, completely mesmerised by how his corded muscles shifted with every stride. God -- how had I never noticed it before? 

However, my attention quickly shifted from Faelen to the portrait on the far left of his dresser. I tilted my head, recognizing the ornate gold frame. It was a portrait I'd seen before, and now, in the daylight, I could see the image more clearly. The frame held a small oil painting of a blue-eyed woman, her wisps of curly brown hair framing her heart-shaped face. Her bow-like lips were frozen in a sweet smile, and her eyes seemed to hold a mysterious, almost seductive light.