Chapter Forty-Five

Kyra

******

I woke up on the right side of the bed that morning, and I don't mean that in the literal sense. From the moment I opened my eyes, I felt the warm energy coiling in my gut, highlighted by the gentle birdsongs lilting into my room. 

I jumped from my bed. Today was going to be a good day, I just knew it. 

After taking a shower and tossing on my go-to attire of combat pants and white shirt, I pushed open my door and made haste down the hall. I hoped Azure and Raina wouldn't resent me too much for missing the past few Feasts -- if they had attended themselves, that is. Though I doubted they felt the need to hide, unlike me. In fact, the three of us had barely spoken. 

When I made it into the hall, I spotted Azure first. She was sitting between a boy with a mop of bronze curls and a red-haired girl. All of them seemed absorbed in conversation, and it was Luc who spotted me first.

"Well, look who finally decided to show," he teased, the other two turning in unison. Azure shot me a wide grin, whilst the other girl -- one I had never seen before -- gave me a sheepish smile. 

"How could I miss another day?" I replied. Still, I couldn't stop my eyes from darting to the new girl, and that's when Azure cleared her throat to gather my attention. 

"This is Rose," she said, placing a firm hand on the girl's shoulder. "I met her when we were trapped in that safe room. You may have seen me talking to her."

I blinked, trying my best to hide my confusion. I cast my thoughts back to that time -- searching for a girl with those luscious red curls and ice-blue eyes -- but memory failed me. How had I not noticed such a striking girl?

Then again, I had been consumed with debate of whether Faelen would live or die. I bit back my sudden pang of guilt. All is forgiven, I reminded myself as I sat down. He's not mad at you anymore. More importantly, he's alive.

Still, even after all this time, the other alternative still shook me to my core. 

I gave her a smile I didn't quite feel. "Rose, nice to meet you. I'm Kyra."

"Oh, I know who you are," Rose said, her voice like honey and champagne. I watched with widening eyes as she placed a delicate hand over Azure's. "Azure has told me a lot about you. Thank you for looking after her; you mean a lot to her."

They shared a personal look, and I forced myself to look away. I had no idea that when Azure had meant friend, she meant friend friend.

Then, Azure's eyes darted to someone behind me, and Luc's gaze quickly followed. Their smiles dropped into frowns. "Oh, look who's here," Luc grumbled.

I blinked before turning to follow their gazes. There, walking towards us with uncertain steps, was Raina. She seemed to stiffen under the sudden weight of our eyes but, bless her, continued onwards. I pressed my lips together, feeling both irritated and guilty as I recalled what had happened moments before that fight. Irritated, because Raina had been so insistent with Azure, and guilty, because I'd scared her. 

I must have had the friendliest face of the lot, though, for her eyes locked on mine immediately. She stopped short. "Hi, Kyra."

I had to stop myself from narrowing my eyes. "Hi..."

Her throat bobbed, and I tracked her gaze as she looked over at Azure. Something in her expression shifted -- something like panic and horror -- as she spied the girl sitting to Azure's left. Judging by Rose's cold gaze, she knew about the story.