Chapter Forty-Seven

For the first time in months, I woke feeling well-rested. Calm; I didn't have one nightmare last night. And... warm. 

A warm body, specifically. I twisted around on my pillow, freezing when I recognised the person sleeping next to me. The events of last night crashed into me like a wave, and although I wanted to feel horrified by the fact I'd just woken up beside someone who was once my sworn enemy, I couldn't help but admire him. Like... the corded muscles of his arms, gently flexing and relaxing around my waist as he slept. The muss of his white hair. The way his face looked so tranquil while he dozed, that usual scowl nowhere to be found.

I stared. I couldn't help it. And amid my fixation, I didn't even notice when the side of his mouth quirked up in a smirk. 

"Paint it; I'm sure it'll last longer."

I jerked back, watching his smirk grow as he opened his eyes. My breathing quickened when I realised he still had his arms wrapped around me -- even then, while he was awake -- but I forced myself to ignore it. 

"How long have you been awake?"

He chuckled, a surprisingly soft sound. "Bold of you to assume I slept."

"Did you not?"

He stiffened for a moment. "Well... yes... but I don't usually--"

"Sleep for more than four hours, that's right," I finished, remembering his words to me. God, that felt like a lifetime ago now. "Did my bed bend that rule?"

Faelen grinned. "Maybe. Just clocked six hours. The last time I slept for that long was maybe two-hundred years ago, after I stayed awake for seven days straight."

"Ah, so my bed must have some enchantment in it."

"Or maybe it's just you."

"Shut up," I said, grabbing an accent pillow and chucking it on his face. He laughed, but I don't think he knew how flustered that comment really made me. My cheeks burned and I didn't want to know how red my face had gotten. 

Before I could do anything, he gripped my arm and threw the pillow into my face, sending me back down on the bed. I let out a bought of wild laughter as I fought against his strength, pushing against his arms and torso as he tried to overpower me. He pinned me down by the shoulders, and I looked up to find a wide grin on his face. 

"Pah. Weakling."

"Don't get so cocky yet," I warn before bringing my knee to strike him in the torso. Really, the strike would have been enough to take down a human, but you get so used to werewolf strength that wrestling like that becomes normal. Faelen let out a breath of air and tried to roll away, but the thrill of the hunt suddenly rose in me, my fingers turning to claws before I could think better of it. I attempted to catch the hem of his white shirt before he could escape, only for my claws to shred it as Faelen fell off the bed.

I paused as I realised what I've done, but Faelen just stood with a laugh, the bottom-half of his shirt hanging on by only a few threads, revealing the large expanse of his torso. 

"No need to get so feisty."

"You started it," I said, and before I could help it, my eyes darted down to find the most chiselled, solid set of his abs. Holy shit -- I don't think I've ever seen a set so solid. A heat instantly formed between my legs, and I looked away as though pretending I didn't even notice. But oh, I noticed all right -- and Faelen's knowing smile in my peripheral told me he noticed as well. I tried not to think about the fact he could probably feel my arousal down the bond as well.

Stupid mate bond. 

I pointed to my wardrobe, more as a distraction than anything. "There's some shirts in there. I don't want immodesty in my room, thanks."