16. I love you too

"Last year, Sir Gulf was alerted that Vachirawit Traipipattanapong Enterprises stocks were increasingly being bought by an unknown buyer. On the surface, it appears to be random, being bought worldwide via different accounts. However, our investigation found out that several board members of VT Enterprises were the masterminds.

Nevertheless, Sir Gulf managed to stop them. He cut off their illegal activities and froze their accounts that had their slush funds.

When the 'dogs' no longer had access to their black money, they began to panic. They could only use money that they kept off the books and were unaccounted for to buy the stocks. Regular money would have been traceable.

They had an inkling that Sir Gulf had something to do with it. But even after they investigated, they couldn't find any evidence. We made sure not to leave any trails that led back to us. Even so, they were still suspicious.

They figured that they might as well kill two birds with one stone. How? By killing Sir Gulf. They would be able to buy the stocks dirt cheap when the public's confidence drops after Sir Gulf's death. They would also be able to wipe out the potential threat, Sir Gulf.

Sir Gulf had anticipated that they would plan this. Especially when the annual board meeting came up. If he had died, the 'dogs' would be able to take the opportunity to claim control of the company at the meeting.

From our sources, we learnt that they planned to crash our car after we, Sir Gulf and I, left the office. They would have a car in front and behind us to ensure that we couldn't lose them.

Our plan was to drive off track and crash into a lamp post, pretending that we were dead. Then our back-up team will swoop in and take care of the people in the two cars. We will send a false report to the 'dogs' so that they don't catch wind that their plan has failed. Then at the meeting, we will reveal their wrongdoings and catch all of them.

However, while we were along the highway, the back of the truck in front of us suddenly opened. A small child was thrown out from the truck, his body landing right in front of our car. We knew that the boy was alive when we saw him sit up.

If we didn't change our plan, we would not only be ambushed. We would also end up killing the child.

Sir Gulf took control of the steering wheel and maneuvered the car such that we hit the railings of the highway. We flew off the highway and crashed onto the road below.

My face hit the steering wheel, came back, hit the front of my headrests, and then it flung me back forward into the side window.

I could smell gas leaking in the car, but I couldn't see at all. Calling out for Sir Gulf, I received no response. I guessed that he must have been knocked out. I reached around for my phone to call for help, but the crash had sent everything airborne and I couldn't find it.

While I was searching, my hand bumped up against my wrist and I remembered that I was wearing an Apple Watch. I hit the digital crown and told Siri to call Pha. The back-up team was stationed near us in case anything went wrong. He then contacted that team and we were pulled out of the wreck to safety.

I didn't call 911 because the reporters might be alerted of the accident. Judging from the news, they eventually knew. Despite the news leaking out, at least we were able to get home before they crowded the hospital."

After Beam finished his report, Pha stepped in.

"We were able to rescue the child. We learnt that he was kidnapped from an orphanage. The reason is still unknown. We will continue to follow up.

After confirming the reliability of the adults working at the orphanage, we sent the child back. He did not have any recollection of the event, probably because he was sedated. So we felt that it was best for him to return to the orphanage, to be in an environment he was familiar with. We have men stationed around the orphanage to ensure the safety of the children and the adults working there.

As for the people in the two cars, we have dealt with them. We kept the leader to make sure that the 'dogs' received the false report without suspicion, later dealing with him too."

David nodded. "Continue to observe the 'dogs' movements. They have already started to move. I saw it from how the news outlets reported Gulf's accident. The 'dogs' must have fuelled it. This was within our plans right?"

"Yes." Pha replied. "Sir Gulf had decided that the news of his accident should not be suppressed by us. Regardless of whether he did or did not get injured. He wanted to let them run wild. They would then gain confidence to usurp leadership at the meeting and Sir Gulf would thus successfully lure them to their demise."

David pondered. "That is good. Update me of their movements and before you guys action each step of the plan. I will help guide you guys."

The next few days, everyone was busy. David, Pha, Ming with the Enterprise and 'dogs'. Layla with collecting information in the social circles. Mew, Forth and Bright with taking care of Beam and Gulf.

-----

One and a half weeks later

It has become a routine for Mew to talk to Gulf for several hours each day. It may be small things, or Mew singing, or telling a story.

Although the doctors had told them that Gulf would wake up in at most a month, Mew was still worried. He didn't want to do nothing while his lover was laying on the bed fighting for his life.

Mew heard that patients in comas may benefit from the familiar voices of lived ones, which may help awaken the unconscious brain and speed recovery.

So there he was, sitting on the chair beside Gulf.

"Bright helped me with breakfast today. We mad souffle pancakes. He tried to separate the egg yolk from the egg white but kept failing.

He would glare at the egg intensely, trying to separate it.

Mum taught him a trick. Using an empty plastic bottle to suck up the yolks. After twenty minutes, Bright finally did it. He looked so accomplished.

I played a few rounds of chess with dad. He was so surprised when I beat him several times. Maybe I should have told him I was a national chess player when I was younger." Mew chuckled.

He held Gulf's hand while he talked, stroking the back of Gulf's hand with his thumb.

"Ben called me today. He said that Alexander is swimming well and is getting acquainted either the other adults dolphins. They will be released in a few weeks' time. Let's visit them with Bright alright?"

Mew smiled weakly when he was met with silence. He knew that Gulf wouldn't be able to respond. But it was still painful to acknowledge the reality.

"Wake up soon alright? I want the image of you smiling at the other side of the bed to be the first and last thing I see each day. I want to eat what you cooked. I want to see you randomly pop in my schedules, surprising me. I want to visit Lipsi with you.

I want to tell you that I love you."

Mew laid his head on Gulf's bed. He stared at their clasped hands. He misses Gulf subconsciously stroking his hand, tracing his veins.

His hand was squeezed weakly.

Mew's brain froze. It wasn't his mind playing tricks right? He felt it clearly. The pressure applied to his hand. That Gulf's hand moved, squeezing his hand.

Looking up instantly, he saw Gulf gazing back at him, his gaze filled with tenderness and love. Gulf smiled weakly, tears brimmed the corner of his eyes.

"I love you too Mew."