27. Too late

The next day

The quietness created an eerie atmosphere. The only sounds that could be heard was the whirring of the fan blades overhead. The smell of disinfectant and peeling paint was pervasive, the fans doing little to help. Gulf passed by blank walls as he walked to the end of the hallway. Everything screamed dreary and hopelessness.

Turning the rusty door knob, Gulf walked into the room. The window was open, the thin blinds swept by the gentle breeze, a relief to the suffocating atmosphere. The continuous beeping sound disgusted Gulf. Life was so unfair. Allowing such a man to breath peacefully despite the fact that countless people died at his hands.

"We meet again Somsak, missed me?"

Somsak stared at him dead in the eye. His eyes were dull, as if asking Gulf what the fuck was he here for.

His mouth opened slightly, probably trying to ask Gulf just that, when his eyebrows scrunched in confusion.

Why couldn't he speak?

"I know you Somsak. We are like Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty. Professor X and Magneto. Batman and Joker.

You would never have let yourself be put into jail.  You had planned for a truck to hit the prison bus you were in, whisking you away for 'serious injuries'. Then you will flee the country with the money you have hidden. Of course you will have some reserves that you didn't give to Kittisak.

So I thought, was there any inescapable way that made you have to face the long years of punishment?

Prison, nope. You have funds to bribe people and have a nice life there. You have a mouth that can manipulate others and give out orders. You have a brain that allows you to create plans to escape.

Torture, nope. There is a chance that you might die. I don't want that. I want you to suffer until your last breath because that is the sentence you deserve.

Then I realised, what if your mind was working but your body wasn't? It checks all the boxes. You will be unable to talk to manipulate and give out orders. Which also makes your funds useless. The despair and hopelessness slowly seeps into your mind as you resign to your fate; even if you can come up with an infinite ways to escape, they will all be futile --making you suffer till you take your last breath.

So, I got my right hand men Phana and Beam to gather a poison that paralyses one's body. Seeing how you are unable to speak nor lunge at me, I can tell that it is already in your system. Plus, they know just where to strike for the entire body to be paralysed. They would have done it, as back up. No one can be too careful you know?"

Gulf raised an eyebrow at Somak's stare. It was filled with fury. Gulf smiled devilishly. The emotionless mask that Somak always wore has now cracked.

"Don't stare at me like that.

Weren't you guys the one who tried to kill me first? What gives you the right to complain to me now? Would you be able to say these things to those you've killed?

Earlier, you talked about me not defeating you. And now, I can see it in your eyes that you are saying that you are going to hunt me down and kill me. You're truly pitiful...If only you hadn't plotted not just to harm me but also harm my family. Do you think my team and I were blind to the assassins outside of our estate and Mew's house? So I figured, if you guys were going to come after my family, it's best to handle it now."

Somak tried to move his head, neck, arms, legs, anything. But there was nothing. He couldn't feel or hear any rustle of the blanket covering his body.

He looked back at Gulf. Cold eyes that are firm and determined. People with that kind of look in their eyes never bluff. Gulf had meant every word he said.

Somak's eyes trembled slightly. That foolish boy really...! His black pupils constricted, showing that the poison has fully set in.

Last night

Gulf went to Bright and Win's room to talk with both of them before the movie started. He sat down on the bed while Bright was picking up the clothes on the floor and Win was fiddling with his bunny plushie.

"Bright, Win, I would like to talk to the both of you about something."

Win jumped onto the bed, sitting beside Gulf. Bright did the same, sensing that his dad was going to say something important.

Gulf shifted back such that he was now facing Bright and Win who sat on the edge of the bed. He gazed at them, his mouth dry upon thinking about what he planned to ask them.

"Bright, you are my son. And Win, even though you aren't my son, I love you like one and you are already part of the family. I value both of your opinions.

During the trials, I would be giving a victim impact statement. Would either or both of you like to give one as well? And if yes, would you want Somsak present there? Since he is the main culprit behind your parents' accidents."

Bright decided to speak up first. He was older than Win. As the big brother, he has to step up so that Win wouldn't be scared.

"I will give a victim impact statement. I want my experience, the result of their horrendous crimes, to be recorded. As for Somsak, I had already confronted him about the death of my parents at the meeting room. So I don't care if he is present in the court room or not. I have already achieved my goal."

Gulf held Win's hands gently. "What about you dear? We will support whatever decision you make."

Win fiddled with his pendant. He doesn't want to meet the man who took away his dad. Taking away the mint smell that he had grown accustomed to when he was carried by his dad. Taking away the honey-like voice who sang songs to him at night.

"I-I dun wan tho meet him. But can I thrill giv the bictim impact thatement?"
(I-I don't want to meet him. But can I still give the victim impact statement?)

"Of course dear. We will be beside you while you give it. If you would like, we can help you while you write it."

"Thank you." Win looked down. Tears brimmed the corner of his eyes as he started to sniffle. He felt touched by the love, care and support from this family.

Bright hurriedly pulled Win into a hug, fussing over Win as he wiped the tears away. Win laughed at how his phi looked so frantic.

"Dun wolly, they are happy tears."
(Don't worry, they are happy tears.)

Gulf and Bright breathed a sigh of relief. Gulf wrapped his kids in a brief hug before they hurried down so that they didn't miss the movie with Mew.

Back to the present

Gulf sighed. The chapter for one individual has finally closed. Only several more individuals left.

As he left the room, Gulf could have sworn he saw a tear trickle down Somak's face.

Too late for regrets Somak. Too late.

A/N: As promised, I updated today! I hope this ending for Somsak is fitting. A few chapters back, when I asked whether it should be prison or torture, a few said torture. But I feel that torture is too short-lived. Am I too sadistic haha