16. Business as Usual

It had been several days from what happened and you had recovered for rhe most part. You had a few days off from work and so thay was a relief.

William knocked on the door before entering a second later. You sat up, abit confused as to what he wanted.

William looked at you for a few moments before speaking. "I need you to stay at home to look after the children.. I'm going to have to be working overtime."

"Oh.. Okay." You blinked. You didn't know much about taking care of children considering you never planned to have any, but it couldn't be that difficult, right?

"Oh, and don't try anything idiotic, alright?" William eyed you.

"Alright."

William looked you over again, his eyebrows furrowing for a moments before walking out and shutting the door behind him.

You sighed and got dressed in a casual shirt and pants. There wasn't any reason to get dressed up in any way fancy or anything considering you would just be staying at home.

By the time you went downstairs, William had already left for work.

Elizabeth was sat at the couch and instantly jumped up and flung herself at you. You almost fell over because of her.

"Can you make some breakfast? Pleaseeeeee" Elizabeth whined, clinging onto you.

"Uh- I suppose I can? What do you usually have for breakfast?"

"Bacon and eggs!" Elizabeth said before running off.

You sighed and walked to the kitchen to make breakfast. Maybe you could get get to know William's children abit more considering you had to babysit for them.

You saw an apron that was hung up and took it. It was abit bigger than your size but you could manage with it.

It wasn't long after when you finished cooking. You called out for the children and Elizabeth came running down the stairs. Evan walked slowly to the table, picking at his food abit before eating. Michael just took his plate upstairs.

You sat down on the couch, just thinking. This would be the perfect time to go to the police station or run away, but what would you do then? You can't exactly prove that William is guilty considering he probably made sure to leave no traces of what happened.. Plus, you can't just leave the children here- And you can't just tale them with you anyway. You aren't their legal guardian and couldn't it be considered kidnapping? They barely know anything about you anyway. The bill for your house is probably overdue too so you most likely can't go there either. Are you even getting paid for this job anymore? You don't even have your wallet with you or any of your possessions.

Just then, a plush was placed on your shoulder. You awkwardly twisted your neck, looking at it before carefully grabbing it. You peered at the plush. It's fabric fur was a golden yellow colour and it wore a purple hat with a black stripe. It's black eyes seemed to stare back at you with its glowing white pupils. "Interesting.." You murmured, looking behind you to see who put the plush on your shoulder.

You turned to see the kid, supposedly named Evan, standing there. "H-Hi-" He said quietly, shuffling awkwardly where he was stood.

"Hello. Is this plush yours?" You said, handing it back to Evan.

"Yeah.. Dad made it for me." Evan said, smiling abit as he took it back from you. He then hugged it tightly. "I like to talk to it. It talks back to me."

"It talks back to you?" You raised a brow, confused. Plushes can't just talk.. Maybe it had one of those voice boxes and it just said 'I love you' whenever it was pressed.. Or maybe Evan's imagination was getting the better of him. It was still a rather unusual thing to say though.