Ch 53: Mate 101 w/ Xavier

Alex's POV:

The whole trial happened faster than I ever thought could happen. I was a bit surprised that Ally or I weren't called up to tell our sides but from what I learned, alphas and betas have the most power and tend to be the most respected wolves of the pack so, of course, they would take Theo and Carter's word. The one thing throughout the trial that did shock me was what Xavier said. Did he really mean it? If Theo never had a wolf would we not be together? I know it's a cliche but I've gotten so used to the idea of us and the future we'd have. I never really thought about if it was just because of one deciding factor. Which sounds insane. The deciding factor should be he's a werewolf and he has a mate but I never thought about what if he was a human. Would we still end up together? Would he have even been interested in me if we were both human? I was so completely wrapped up in my rabbit hole. That I didn't even realize that Xavier had led us back into our room. 

"Now mate, I would love to stay and spend some time with you but my human is nagging me about giving control back. Human can be annoying with their nagging. He acts as if I know nothing." Xavier rolled his eyes and then closed them. Most likely to relinquish control but before he could I grabbed his hand and pulled him down to the closest seat. He immediately opened his eyes and looked a bit startled. 

"Before you give Theo control back, I was hoping I could ask you a question?" He looked a bit shocked but nodded his head to continue. "What did you mean back in the trial? About how Theo wouldn't have a mate if it weren't for you?" Xavier took a massive deep breath then his eyes glossed over. If I remember correctly that means he's mind linking with someone? Or did it mean he was talking to his wolf or well Theo? Can he even talk to Theo while he's in control? Of course, he can. He just said Theo was nagging him. Plus if Theo can talk to him then why would Xavier not be able to talk to him when he's in control. I kept spinning out in my thoughts when suddenly I heard Xavier clear his throat. I shook my head, trying to regain my focus, and looked at him. 

"I think it's time we have a chat about mates." I nodded my head and gave my full focus to him. "Long ago, when the first werewolf was created, he did not have a mate nor did he have a wolf. He could just shift into a wolf's body. Due to not having a mate, he ended up mating with multiple women a week. He lacked a wolf to talk some sense into him. Now being a werewolf means you are extremely fertile so with all his mating, well you get the picture." I nodded along, trying to get my brain to wrap around everything. "As time prolonged and his children reached maturity and began to start families as well, it became a part that the population was rapidly outnumbering those of the humans. Now at first, no one really minded. Werewolves are healthier, stronger, faster, and well let's be honest. We're the superior being. Anyways, after a while, the human population began to become non-existent. For every 10 wolves, there were maybe 3 humans. Obviously, that began to become a problem. As a result, as the years went on, wolves began being unable to produce with humans. In fact, a human carrying a wolf was thought to be impossible after some time. Then we began to hear another voice in our heads. Honestly, no one knows how but our wolf side just came to be. With our wolf side also came more wolf traits. Such as protectiveness, possessiveness, growling, packs, and obviously mates. As you know, in the wild, wolves tend to mate for life. Now that werewolves began to have mates and their wolves were able to help them identify their mates, mating with humans became more scarce. Which allowed the human population to regain its numbers. Especially since the way of life began to evolve into more of civilization." I nodded my head, still a little confused. Xavier must've sensed my confusion because before I could ask a question, he began to answer them. "Werewolves can still have human mates. It just became rare because the human population was so much lower, but now being that the population is quite high. Being mated to a wolf doesn't quite affect it as it did many years before." I was still in a bit of shock, but Xavier just continued to sit there while my brain tried to process everything I was just told. After a few minutes, I think I finally managed to wrap my head around everything. 

"So when you said Theo wouldn't have a mate if it weren't for you. It's because the wolf side is what caused werewolves to have mates in the first place?" Xavier nodded. "If Theo didn't have a wolf. Does that mean he and I would have never dated?" Xavier looked extremely sad and just shook his head. 

"I know you're my mate. You were made for me. Quite literally. Human and I may disagree on a lot of stuff but we do agree on one thing. If human didn't have me. He still would've chosen you. You are quite literally perfect for us in every single way." By now Xavier moved closer and I was practically sitting in his lap while his forehead rested against mine. I just nodded and he gave me a forehead kiss before relinquishing control back to Theo. 

"In case I've never told you this already. You are 100% the only girl for me. Wolf or no wolf. It will always be you." I couldn't hold back my smile and kissed him on the cheek. 

"I would have gone out with you even if you didn't have Xavier..." Before I could finish, he let out a small growl and his eyes darkened. I just shook my head and continued. "...but Xavier is a bonus." With that, Theo's eyes lightened and he let out a smile. 

"You have no clue how much that means to me. Well both of us." I smiled and snuggled into him more. "You know what else?" I just hummed an answer as I was starting to get a bit drowsy. "I don't think I've ever heard Xavier speak that well." I let out another hum and closed my eyes. I felt Theo look down and he let out a small laugh, kissed my forehead, and then picked me up and moved us to his bed for a well-desevered nap.