three

James decided to ditch school for the day and sleep all day. His excuse for Otis and Eric was that he had gotten sick over the night.

He told them he'd text or call if he wanted company after school. He wouldn't actually call them, he didn't wanna bother them with his life problems.

He let out a huff when he heard a lock knock on his door. His mother and father once again ran off.

He was glad because it meant he could be in his own home without feeling so terrified.

He got off his couch walking towards the door and pulling it open weakly.

He was surprised to see Ruby, she smiled at him as she held onto his hoodie he gave her last night.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at school bullying people who look at you".

She rolled her eyes walking inside making him look at her with a frown.

"Actually why are you even here?" She didn't say anything and sat down.

It was as if she had been here a thousand times, it was only once of course. But he wouldn't just burst out and say anything about it.

"Came to return this" she held the hoodie and he could tell she washed it from the strong spell of laundry detergent.

He grabbed it from her "you could've just put it in my mailbox or something. Or honestly kept it. I wouldn't have missed it".

"Maybe I just used it as an excuse to see you, I didn't see you at school this morning. With your little friends".

"Wasn't in the mood for school, it's just one day" he walked away from her going into his small kitchen.

"You want a beer or something" he opened his fridge watching her as she stood up.

"No, I'm not staying long" he grabbed a Diet Coke out of the fridge handing it to her before sitting down on the couch.

She opened it but she looked at it with a daze. She didn't think James was the type of person to just drink diet sodas.

He leaned into the couch opening a can of beer as she drank the soda in a fast manner.

"I didn't think you liked diet" he looked up at her. "I hate anything diet" she frowned.

"Then why do you have some in your refrigerator" he let out a slow breath setting his can down.

"Well I remember the last time you were here. It was the middle of the night and you woke up. Keep asking me for Diet Coke".

He laughed "I told you I didn't have any and you kinda just went back to bed. I got a case for you in the morning. But you were gone when I got back. it's just been sitting there".

He stood up "I didn't think you'd remember that, I always say nonsense when I'm drunk".

He remembered everything she ever told him, it was melted into his flesh.

It became apart of him in a way. And it didn't really bother him a lot.

He didn't blame her if she left at this point, he knew she wouldn't stay. She'd never stay.