twenty five

Months had passed and everything still felt slower than before. James barely remembered what he had for breakfast, let alone waking up after weeks of being stuck inside a hospital, he was alone in the middle of the night when his eyes opened. Then the world around him began spinning as he tried to piece together what had happened to him.

That was ages ago and he still felt confused and lost with everything, he could barely function without the urge of shutting down into nothing. He didn't feel slightly good about anything he did, he smiled and put on this picture perfect mask in front of everyone.

Deep down inside behind those eyes was a broken boy who desperately wanted the world to stop spinning. It never did and with the start of yet another school year he can't decide if he's even remotely ready to face the world again. With the judgmental stares and low whispers he'd hear every time he walked outside.

James' life had taken a rather harsh turn and it was all because of a stupid overdose he couldn't even remember. Sometimes he'd see Ruby looking at him with such a gaze he couldn't quite understand. Maybe it was guilt? Or perhaps utter disappointment and shame. He was ashamed of himself regardless.

When his eyes opened he was greeted by silence, he let out a light breath as he shifted his weight and turned to his side. He could hear the soft hum of the coffee machine brewing his morning coffee and the light taps of his clock ticking away.

He sat up as he rubbed his eyes, the sunlight was brighter than most days and he could feel the warmth of it as he climbed out of bed. He sighed in annoyance as he grabbed his clothes and made his way into the bathroom. The place was a wreck, he didn't have the energy these days to clean, he could barely leave his bed without wanting to lay back down.

The loudness of Ruby honking her horn made him get dressed quickly before he ran out of the bathroom and grabbed his bag from his desk. He walked down the hallway, his gaze looking at the bright blue bedroom door that was shut, the colorful letters on the center made his heart ache.

Andrew

He looked away from the door before he quickly ran down the stairs and made his way outside. Ruby sat inside her car fixing her hair as she looked in her mirror, James got into the passenger seat.

"You're early" he looked at the girl as she started the car and drove down the road "I'm actually on time, did you sleep through your alarm I set for you again? That's the sixth time this week". The boy shrugged as he leaned back in the seat "I must've missed it or something, regardless I'm awake for the first day, hopefully the place isn't awful".

Ruby smiled softly "a fresh start, and a proper school where everyone doesn't have to wear hideous uniforms. I burned the old one the second I could". She kept driving and when the school was in their sights James looked at it with a deep frown "this place looks like an episode of SpongeBob's inner thoughts".

The boy turned his eyes widening at the sight of a girl walking in front of the car "Ruby watch out!". Ruby hit the brakes as she glared at the girl who had been moved out of the way by Eric. The girl let out a light laugh of shock as she looked at Ruby "this is a no-car zone" Ruby sighed in annoyance.

"Where am I supposed to park, then?" James looked around at all the bikes and students as they walked around with bright smiles on their faces. He wanted to throw up at the thought of all these happy people surrounding him, it made him dread being here.

"There's a car park across the road" Ruby grumbled before she turned around and drove off. James reached into his pocket grabbing a cigarette "do not light that in my car". James huffed as he climbed out of the car when she parked "the roof is down, it would've gone along with the wind".

𝘙𝘦𝘧𝘭𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴-𝘙𝘶𝘣𝘺 𝘔𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘸𝘴 जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें