I - Jenner.

I know I could lie, but I am telling the truth.

Wherever I go there's a shadow of you.

I know I can try, looking for something new.

But wherever I go, I'll be looking for you.

A muffled sound.

Some people lie, but they're looking for magic.

Others are crying that they are going insane.

Another muffled sound interrupted the song that just started. Jenner looked up to her mother and father, who both had unreadable expressions on their faces. Yep, either one of them definitely said something to her and she completely missed it.

Jenner took off one AirPod, tucked her shoulder-height, ombre platinum hair behind her ear, and smiled coyly at them both.

'Sorry, you were saying?'

'I was asking, what did we agree on regarding earphones at the table?' her mother asked.

'I was just listening to a voice note from Olivia,' she responded, her voice sweet and calm. Jenner took off her second AirPod and lifted the tablespoon to begin indulging in her bowl of cheerios.

Despite having parents that were ever-present in the house, Jenner never really had the privilege of having breakfast with them. Days like this were extremely rare, exacerbated by the recent emancipation of her older brother Werner.

It most certainly was weird being the only child around, for the first time since being born. Werner not being around to annoyingly disturb her peaceful night's sleep, drop her off at school, or even have a light conversation about the most random topics was weird. Most of the attention, one that she was not really used to, was suddenly turned to her.

Mark switched off his iPad Pro and placed it on the coffee table. The three were seated on the posh outdoor furniture found in the stone-tiled patio graciously overlooking their spacious and stunningly vibrant, multi-level garden.

'Are you excited for today?' Mark asked, his voice deep and smooth.

Mark is Jenner's father.

Mark Fenton, her father of European ancestry. His lineage can be directly traced to the early British settlers in the Cape Colony, although the shock did not lie in the fact that he could easily track down his earliest ancestors on the continent. What shocked Mark during his search was finding out that he is one-eighth Dutch. His paternal great-grandmother hailed from Amsterdam.

Mark, for the most part, enjoyed a healthy childhood. The only missing entity is his father, whom had up and left at a very early stage in his life. Mark the last of four siblings and the second boy – so at least his older brother Josh, could be somewhat of a father figure to him. They shared a bond tighter than anyone else in the house, even to this day.

From sneaking out to parties together in their youth to being a part of the same rugby team in high school – being effectively known as the Fenton Factor. Two of the most competent players in the first fifteen, they were not to be messed with.

While high school was memorable for the laughs, tackles, and high-strung emotions, it was also a highlight for Mark because that was where he met Angela Van Vuuren – his first- and long-time lover. They were both in their physical sciences class in the eleventh grade when Mark finally puckered up the courage to go and talk to her after crushing on Angela for nearly a year since her transfer to Hoerskool Oos-Moot.

Only a few months after their first encounter, they were closer than ever. Mark went as far as introducing Angela to his family, and Angela did the same. Both weren't receptive to the idea at first, given their genealogy but they all grew to adjust to the idea and they were soon official. Their relationship grew into what many around them envied and even the end of high school did not deter them. Mark moved to the Western Cape to study at the University of Cape Town, while Angela remained in the capital – opting to become a tukkie.