XVI - Clinton.

Wear something you'd be comfortable in, nothing formal. My initial plan was for a nice dinner, but something more interesting – something I am certain you'd like – came up and thought maybe we could try that out instead.

These were the exact words typed by Clinton, a little over two hours ago, when Jenner enquired for clues on what they'd be doing so that she could be adequately dressed.

Surprise dates were annoying in this regard because you'd be told to wear something comfortable – not realizing that comfortable is quite subjective. Some would be comfortable in full out formal wear, while others would mind showing up in nothing but undergarments. Jenner enquired just to avoid all that, the last thing she needed was wearing a risqué outfit only to be shocked by finding herself at the opera getting all sorts of stares.

However, she was not going to probe further because Clinton was being cryptic about their first official date, and while most would be nervous, Jenner was rather nonchalant about it.

It was nothing to do with Clinton, and everything to do with the fact that she went into every situation excepting bitter disappointment.

Her previous relationship of nearly two years came crashing down when images of her ex-lover, Arnold Morake, were captured, showing him conversing and fraternizing with the girl she was most insecure about, Naledi Masimula. A best friend from their early high school days turned foe, by the time they had reached matric, the two were practically strangers.

I mean it was fun at first. It always is.

Arnold told Jenner all sorts of things, "I love you", "You are not like the other girls", "I cannot stop thinking about you" and perhaps the most misleading of all, "I see a future with you in it Jenner Fenton." It was sweet, and Jenner loved being on the receiving end of such beautiful comments – especially from someone as sought after as Arnold. He sure was good looking, articulate and intelligent. Everything a high school would ever want. He did attend school at the neighbouring St Johns' College – Boyfriend Central, as the girls at Roedean School called it.

As time eloped, the two did grow stronger but it was not without its perils.

Jenner was largely insecure because she never always embraced her beauty. Jenner was a far cry from the confident and self-assured girl we see today, and that's what she could not wrap her head around. Why did Arnold pick her? Of all the girls at the school.

In time, the insecurities did manifest, and the couple did face communication breakdowns and had nasty arguments.

Amid the 'rough patch' they were experiencing, there was chatter that Arnold was seeing someone else, and they needn't look far to find the mystery girl. On one random day, Jenner was presented with photos of Arnold and Naledi – talking and laughing, seemingly comfortably in each other's company. Jenner was not upset, just disappointed that her worst fears were realized. She amicably ended things with Arnold without explanation and abruptly severed ties with Naledi, who was left confused about Jenner's changed attitude towards her.

There was a knock on her door, and she added the final touches to her skilfully beautified lips with her MAC lipliner.

'Enter,' she responded, letting out a slight cough.

'Your date is here,' a mildly husky voice spoke walking into the room. 'Hold on, are you wearing ... make up?' he asked.

'Oh, get out of here Werner.'

Jenner rolled her eyes and applied some mascara.

'Be honest, how do I look?'

'Uh you look like you've been going all out for this date. He must be pretty special,' Werner teased.