XIII - Kiara.

She was usually dropped off right at the front door of the house, but today Kiara asked that she be dropped at the front gate of Southdowns Estate – instant that she would walk the final few metres past other houses to her own (rumoured to be the largest within the confines of the 46 hectares of this breeding ground for premium living).

Situated on Hennops Street, it featured five bedrooms, two flatlets, four double-size garage doors, a private theatre room, a wine cellar and a garden growing a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and herbs among many other amenities. The house itself was a clever mix of contemporary and vintage farmhouse living on par with the grander estate which itself centred its aesthetic around the farms founded by the early European settlers at the start of the twentieth century.

The family had called this space home for the better half of ten years now. Kiara had seen friends from the estate come and go, while she remained, she could take you on a tour all by herself to list all the notable changes from the countless neighbours to the newly born cows.

This was the only space she was allowed to leave without needing the permission of her parents.

'Kiara,' echoed a deep, yet gentle voice, right after she gently closed the opaque, glass door – hoping to slip in unnoticed.

Fuck, they are still awake, she hissed. The foyer lights still being on should have been the giveaway, but it was worth a try.

She let out e light sigh before heading down the three-step stairway, were to her left, sat her parents on cushioned dining seats at a moderately long, marble-top dining table decorated with a plethora of expertly cooked dishes.

'Dinner?' the man offered.

She smiled coyly.

'I thought you guys were still in Australia for the mining conference thing.'

'Is that how you greet your parents now?' the woman asked, beginning to plate up for her husbands.

It went without saying that these were Kiara's parents.

The man gestured to the empty seat on his left. The one Kiara always took when they had dinner as a family. They might have been a busy bunch, but her parents would always make time for family time like his.

Her frantic state was made evident by a feeling of fur rubbing against her leg, to which she flinched. Kiara was far too shocked by the sudden presence of her parents to even notice the gentle sound of the bell that was attached to the cat's collar – to hear their movements around the house.

The grey Maine Coon cat that stood before her, meowing frantically was Bellatrix – named after the infamous wizard from the Harry Potter series, among Kiara's favourite characters.

She had a thing for cheering the villains on, you really cannot judge her.

'Oh no, don't worry about it. I am pretty stuffed; I was at dinner with Andile's family.'

'Interesting, you don't look like you're dressed for a casual dinner with our neighbours,' he responded, eyeing Kiara's outfit from head to toe. Up-tied ponytail, large hoop earrings, cream white bodycon dress, a gold bracelet – that he'd taken note of weeks ago – and a pair of black ankle straps.

She kissed her teeth just slightly.

'Mm, yes. There was a theme the family was doing, and so I thought I would play along. You know?'

The mother giggled lightly. Kiara knew that they were seeing right through, she honestly was just taking chances with her poorly thought out lie. She gazed at her father once more, and he kindly gestured for her to take her seat once more