VIII - Jenner

'So, what I would like you to do before you clock out, I need these new arrivals to be neatly arranged. The store has a policy of brighter colored books being the first thing people see, as color inclines them to buy more, and then the further back you go, the darker – or plainer – the covers.' Bongani instructed, dragging in a cart worth of brightly covered textbooks that were shipped in yesterday.

Jenner's training had been coming along fabulously, she had found favor among Bongani and Margaret, and frankly, that was all she needed. At least to be in the good books with the manager, and to have at least one friend she spoke to on a frequent basis. This was the third weekend since she started and the final day of her training before she would be offered her contract, it was exciting to know that Bongani was more than willing to have her aboard.

She had proven herself to be a valuable addition to the team. Though she wanted to fly under the radar, Jenner would occasionally get several boxes of assorted dozen donuts from Krispy Kreme just to share with everyone else, she got along extremely well with employees and customers alike, she was highly spirited, and her work ethic proved to be up to par with the rest.

It was a no-brainer that the job would be hers eventually.

The experience was outright fun. For someone who isn't as social as the average joe, Jenner was sure doing a great job of blending in.

And it turns out, public transport wasn't so bad either. I mean with a park-and-ride facility and speedy train service; it was the perfect recipe, and no one suspected a thing. Either that or Jenner was not being observant enough.

One might argue that she was too deep in her head, but that's just how she operated. She hated her riches following her wherever she went. Yes, when the situation warranted it like galas, family trips, and the works, she would not mind but it's something she did not want to define her entirely.

That Fenton fortune was made for her, just not by her, and that's what bothered her.

'I will get these done.'

'Great, after that do not forget to clock out. Margaret is locking the store today.'

'Why her?'

'She'll be in the first tomorrow; I'll be in Pretoria for a meeting.'

'With executives?'

'You could say. Anyways, let me get going, enjoy your evening further.'

'Safe travels,' Jenner smiled before rubbing her hands together, getting ready to plan out she was going to execute the task.

The books largely were orange and yellow in design, meaning it was not that mammoth of a task. Maybe it's still because of her training, but that's not what she wanted. Jenner wanted to be thrown into the deep end, she wanted the hard tasks.

Oh well, work is work.

Her spirited nature often confused Margaret. She wondered how a person could be so excited to come in every weekend and get the same boring job done. She loved the job, but like most she found it to be too repetitive. By the second week, she was over it, but Jenner was still keeping the momentum going.

Cut from a different cloth, she thought after helping a customer and eyeing Jenner, who stood with her index finger on her chin and looked very thoughtful.

Jenner was done deciding.

Orange was going to go first and then yellow.

Following the order of the color spectrum.

She got started while having both AirPods on, at a moderate volume. She was enjoying Jessie Reyez's tunes. According to her Apple Music account, she was her most played artist for the past two years – which said a lot about the sort of person she is. But one trick people often made was trying to get to know Jenner through her music. Here's a tip, don't. You'll only confuse yourself.