IX - Alexander.

Alexander's eyelids slowly separated, and the feeling of life slowly escaped back into his body as a direct response to the morning sunlight that seeped into his east-side facing bedroom. He did not live-in student residence. A modern, two-bedroom apartment in Lynwood was bought in his name, and he'd been living in it since he started schooling this side.

His parents had only been around once, that was on the day they welcomed him to the unfurnished space. Alex opted to pick out the things he wanted for himself; he did not trust his parents enough to get the place to look like his ideal apartment.

He had been meaning to find another space, perhaps in Centurion – for its compromising distance from both the campus and the northern peripheries of Johannesburg.

Alex liked killing time in neighbourhoods there, alright?

Alex's bedside was empty, a major difference from last night. You could guess who he had over for a few drinks and rounds. Yes, he did bring Jackson around despite not really liking people over. Not even his best friends, and this being Alex we are speaking of, there weren't that many friends. But there are exceptions to this, to accommodate the double life he enjoyed living, Alex would have to bend the rules just slightly – in this case, having Jackson over. Plus, they could get crazy all night together, so it really was a win-win.

The double life was a direct result of the environment he was brought up in. No amount of riches could change the fact Alex's parents were against the idea of a homosexual person in their lineage. Not that they spoke to him and cautioned him against it, Alex merely observe their responses to such issues. When watching the news and something regarding a gay, lesbian, or bisexual person was brought up, their disgust would discourage him from ever wanting to say anything. In debates, their opposing stance to it did not really make things any easier and the lack of emotional intelligence that came with their rants.

It was just easier to be away from it all.

And it was not only at home. In the entirety of his primary and high school careers, Alex had met two openly gay – and one lesbian – students who would often be the subject of ridicule by their peers. Adding insult to injury, he would add to the insults.

He did what he thought was cool at the time, and naturally, does have regrets. But there was no use in holding onto it all, everyone moved on – or so he assumed – and he was going to do the same.

'Morning you,' a topless and extremely fit Jackson greeted.

Jackson in many ways was very different from Alex. For starters, Jackson was openly queer; he had seen a lot of hate for being the openly gay kid in his childhood, but it never really got to him because he grew a thick skin from a tender age. He couldn't care less for what people were saying about him, and he tried his best to cultivate a normal childhood amidst the chaos he faced (almost) every day.

Yes, Jackson was the kind that Alex avoided being spotted with in public. Even now, despite being halfway across the country from Cape Town. He still was not fully acclimated to the idea of conversing with queer people in public spaces. This, in turn, gave birth to the secretive nature of their affairs. It was an after-dark thing, where they would only get together if the coast was clear.

Something Jackson had to adjust to if he was going to keep Alex in his orbit.

'Hey, you are up pretty early.'

'Yeah, sorry. I wanted to get some schoolwork done, and I did not really want to disturb you.'

'You are working already?'

Jackson laughed, before taking his seat on the white linen blankets.

'You know how it is. One moment you are relaxing, and the next you are three weeks behind in five courses whereas you are only doing three.'