VII - Kiara

The door opened wide for her allowing Kiara to step out and soak in the warm weather for today. Well, it's Pretoria, the real question here is when is it never warm around these streets? She was clad in a beautiful black turtleneck mini dress paired with a pair of ankle boots. Kiara also had on a neatly wrapped headscarf and two drop earrings falling out from both sides of her face. Her friends had informed her to meet on-campus library.

She did not have classes today; in fact, they were online for the most part, but she did tire of being in the house all day – so Kiara used the excuse of being on campus as an excuse for spending a handful of hours out.

After having her student card scanned, she reached into her Marc Jacobs Monogram Jacquard Tote bag for her perfumed sanitizer which she gently sprayed onto her hands before walking straight into the maze-like building in a bid to find the library.

Of course, Kiara was subtle about who she was and where she came from, hating the attention that was sometimes placed on her. However, this was only on some days; on others, she would outright let it be known that she is no regular person and that people should, in fact, stop and stare in deep admiration for her mere existence. Today was one of those days, without shame she embraced the looks and glares she got on campus.

The attention was there, but it was fleeting and that is precisely what she banked on when she decided to exhibit her affluence. People are known to have short attention spans, so it is no big deal really.

From maze-like building to maze-like library, since her first year, she seldom spent time in the campus library but had a special spot she would share with her friends. This was easy to find if she would remember where it was.

Kiara has not been on campus in over two years. You really cannot fault her.

She was approached with a gentle tap on her shoulder, followed by the sight of a grinning Sasha.

The friends discreetly shrieked in excitement as they tightly hugged each other.

'You were lost again, weren't you?'

Kiara chuckled.

'You cannot blame me,' she responded, as Sasha fully appraised Kiara's choice of clothing.

'You ma'am, look stunning,' she complimented.

Kiara tossed her round frame Ray Ban's in her bag and followed Sasha to a familiar setting. Littered with students across an array of study desks, Kiara was led to the final table right beside a floor to ceiling that gave a beautiful view of the outside.

Miriam broke into a grin and took off her earphone at the sight of her friend. She honestly was shocked to see her again so soon; knowing how concealed she can be at times, there was no knowing when Kiara would allow herself to enjoy the splendors of the world outside the high gates of her home in Southdowns Estate.

'My, my, my! Kiara? On campus? To what do we owe the pleasure?' she joked, being sure to keep her voice low. It still was a library.

'Oh, you know, I just was feeling like seeing my besties. I know you guys would be in, so I thought why not.'

'It's great to see you Kiki.'

More like she was tired of being home.

'So, what have you guys been up to today?'

'Uh, uh. Not so fast,' Sasha interrupted. 'You owe us information.'

'I beg your pardon?'

'How'd your date with Themba hon?'

Her heart fluttered and she found herself involuntarily smiling. The mere thought of Themba filled her with such joy. Especially now that he was back in her life and confirmed it with the apology gift he got her.