XI - Jenner

Having favourites in a family shouldn't be illegal. This is a motion that needs to be looked into because you cannot help getting along with some people while the others remain these unrelatable, and sometimes unlikeable, people that bring nothing but unnecessary apprehension to your life.

Jenner never really understood the notion of being forced to get along with all her family and being biracial – the only one thereof – meant that you'd come from two polarizing worlds that had one notion in common.

"You aren't really one of us."

On the Fenton side of the family, which was considerably larger, Jenner never really got along with those folks mostly because of their outdated views of race relations. Yes, even in 2022 families abhorred the idea of marrying into another race. It's always "What will the kids look like?" and never "I am happy for you guys!", Mark and Ramadimetja weren't exempt from the ice-cold treatment they received. Outside of Mark, Werner and her paternal grandmother, Susan, Jenner never really liked hanging out with anyone that bore the last name Fenton.

It was just headaches on headaches when dealing with them because her much darker skin would often be a topic of ridicule and discussion. There was nothing Jenner hated more.

It was not so peachy on the Letsoalo side of things, while her cousins – children to her mother's sister – were really great people to be around, it was the extended-extended part of the family that would give Jenner the hardest of times.

Being the first biracial child comes with a ton of unnecessary stress relating to who you truly are and where you fit in. Jenner was often reminded that she was not fully black either, owing to the fact that she had a limited Setswana vocabulary and that she never grew up in the hood. She merely is an Oreo – black on the outside, white on the inside.

The chaos that came with being around them all was enough for Jenner to detach from them, cutting her social circle down by a considerable margin.

This is now where the favourites took centre stage, of course, her twin cousins, an estranged Jackson and almost-best friend Tswelopele Malaka were the younger siblings she wishes she had, but Lucas was the true star because while Werner was her immediate brother, Jenner related to Lucas far much more.

This was not to say she hated Werner or anything. The love ran deep, but Lucas excelled in a manner that Jenner would have wanted from her own brother.

And that's who exactly she was meeting today, Lucas Malaka.

He'd always dressed in a similar fashion whenever they met, it's what came with being a junior level financial manager of one of the top finance-based firms in the country.

A crisp, white shirt tucked into black tailored pants and a pair of suede, cognac brown Chelsea boots.

Jenner spotted him upon entering the Starbucks over at Clearwater Mall, over in the far north-western region of the city.

'That tie is sitting pretty well,' she calmly remarked, as Jenner snuck up from behind.

Lucas' attention was turned from his phone to his younger cousin who stood right beside him. He couldn't help but pull her into a hug.

'Thanks,' he smiled, adjusting the black Windsor knot tie ever so slightly. 'You know I was about to place an order for you?'

Jenner chuckled, as the queue moved one pace ahead.

'It's not like you know what I like most.'

Lucas rolled his dark brown eyes at her.

'How much do you want to bet that I know what you're thinking of having right now?'