[Rewrite In Progress] Chapter 4 - Amber Vs Director Goodsky

I woke up the next day feeling refreshed, which was unusual as I was never really a morning person and would be rather cranky with out my morning tea.

"Maybe Leona's will had more benefits than she let on," I joked with myself. I got out of bed and got refreshed and headed down to the dining room. As I was walking, I bumped into my aunt Alice as she was coming out of her room.

"Oops, sorry Amber. I didn't see you at dinner yesterday; you must have been really tired. How have you been?" she asked with a bright smile. Aunt Alice was very kind and gentle with distinct auburn hair and brown eyes. Her long eyelashes and perky nose gave off a gentle aura that radiated kindness.

"I'm good Aunt Alice. You should have come with us; It would've been so much more fun," I replied.

"No, it's quite alright. Your family needed some alone time together. Besides, Eleanor is still little, and I don't want to make her sick by going on unnecessary journeys," she said with a sad expression. To any other person, it might have seemed like she was just worried about her daughter. But in reality, the truth was far darker than that.

She and Uncle Reynolds also had a son together. While they were travelling from their home in Ashbern Town to Xyrus City, they were attacked by a group of bandits. Luckily, Uncle Rey had his old adventuring crew with them, so they were able to take care of the bandits. However, one of them escaped and attacked their son with a water spell that ended up pushing him over the edge of a cliff. At least, that's what I heard. Aunt Alice and Uncle Rey were some of the nicest people I knew, so something this terrible happening to them was really heart-breaking to hear. Uncle Rey had once saved father's life and become good friends with him. Father had offered him a job in the Helstea Auction House if he ever retired as an adventurer. So, they came to our house and explained the situation to us, and asked if that offer was still available. As soon as father learned what happened, he stated that 'no friend of his was going to live on the streets', and forced them to live with us. They tried to refuse at first, but eventually gave in. Father made him the trainer for the guards and gave him a generous salary. It took some time for Aunt and Uncle to get over their son's death, but they soon opened up to us. Their presence was a welcomed one. Father never had any time to spend with us, so them being here and keeping us company made everyone happy.

I went to the dining room and saw mother and Lilia already there.

"Good morning," I greeted as I went and sat at the table.

"Good morning," they replied. Father was at work and would probably come back at mid-day. Soon after, Aunt Alice and Uncle Rey came and joined us with Eleanor. Uncle Rey was a very charismatic-looking man with a cleanly shaven square jaw line that complimented his features. His hair, a very ashy brown colour, seemed to be kept trim, while his eyebrows were strong and fierce, extending in a sword-like fashion meeting to a V shape. Yet, his eyes held a gentle quality, whether it was from the way his eyes drooped a bit at the end or from the deep blue, almost sapphire, hue that radiated from his irises. Eleanor was about a year old and had dazzling brown eyes that looked at you with innocent curiosity. Her light ash brown hair shimmered with a much prettier quality than her father's.

"Good morning," they said.

"Good morning," we replied. After we finished eating, I asked everyone what they were going to do for the day.

"We were all going to go to the shops then go to the auction house to help out your father and see if there were any interesting donations we'd received. Do you want to come with us?" Mother said. Our auction house was the most famous one in Xyrus City, so we always got good donations from high-ranking clients.

"No thank you, I'm still a bit tired from yesterday, so I think I'll just rest today," I lied. I wanted to stay home so I can assimilate with Leona's will more. Plus, I don't want to be in the open, surrounded by people. If I randomly get pain in my mana core, it would most likely worry everyone, and that would be a hassle, trying to convince everyone that I was fine.