[Rewrite In Progress] Chapter 12 - The Auction House

(Arthur Leywin POV)

Today was the day of the 10-year anniversary of the Helstea Auction House. I was dressed in a black suit with no tie. Sylvie climbed on to my shoulder and we made our way to Amber's room. During these last 2 months Sylvie has grown quite a lot, to the point that she can barely ride on my shoulder. Her intelligence was rapidly increasing as well. In the few short months after she was born, it felt like she had gained years of emotional intelligence. Though, I guess the same can be said about Airies.

One major change had happened recently; she learned how to transform. It felt like it happened so suddenly. I had been pondering how to hide her appearance in the days to come when she grows larger. She had been beside me and Amber when she started whining and scratching herself as if uncomfortable. Amber, being the worried mother picked her up and tried to figure what was wrong. But the next thing we knew, her red spikes began retracting while her horns got smaller. It was a mind-blowing surprise. Now, most of the time, Sylvie just kept her spikes and horns retracted, making her look more like a cute, black scaled fox with little horns.

Airies also went through a similar metamorphosis, though not exactly the same. He was able to retract the flames that covered him and was able to change his size. At least that meant we wouldn't have a problem hiding him in the future. I pondered on why they could go through such change, but my mind always come to the same conclusion that it was because they were powerful, supposedly mythical creatures. I mean, Sylvia was able to transform her form at will and was also able to communicate in the human tongue, so Sylvie would probably have similar abilities. And from what Amber said, Airies' mother was also able to speak, so why couldn't she alter her form as well? This was the only connection I could make that could explain anything.

I felt melancholy and the thought of Sylvia. Her untimely death, our farewell. It happened far too soon for my liking. I would feel hatred boil up inside me for what the horned demons did to her every time I thought about her. And just like every time, I would remember her last message to me. To not go back to my old ways of revenge, death and emotionlessness. But that message strikes me even harder now than before. Because now, I have more to protect. In addition to my parents, I have to also protect Sylvie, Airies and Amber. I would not allow myself to fail. That wasn't an option!

"Papa?" Sylvie spoke as she felt my inner turmoil. She rubbed her cheek with mine, as if assuring me everything was going to be ok.

I rubbed the top of her head, "I'm fine no need to worry."

We made our way to Amber's room and went inside. She was wearing a midnight black dress that shimmered a luminescent white in the light, reminding me of the countess starts in the cloudless night sky. She wore rose gold diamond earrings and golden bracelets covered in silver. Around her neck was a heavy silver necklace with a large amber coloured diamond embedded into it. Her hair tied in a waterfall braided style at the back while long flowing silver hair covered some of her face at the front. On her feet was 1 inch silver colour heels.

I looked at her in admiration. Even in her child like body, she still had the beauty, etiquette and grace of a queen. Even if I were to compare her to queen Merial, she out classed her easily in all aspects. The way she held her self, the authoritative aura around her, her regality and beauty. There was no doubt in my mind that if were to be a queen in this life, she would be the most adored and respected queen of this continent.

She raised an eyebrow at me and I realised that I had been standing there and staring at her for too long. I walked over to her and greeted. "Good evening milady. You look gorgeous as ever!"

She gave me quick chuckle and said, "So, ready to head down." I gave a wordless nod and we started to walk downstairs. Airies was situated on Amber's shoulder and was talking to Sylvie. We walked down stairs and saw that most the Twin Horns were there already. We greeted them and talked while waiting for everyone else.