Chapter 2: The Knight Exam

A few months, six to be more precise, after our three protagonists had gotten their grimoires, it was time for them to head to the capital and face the first obstacle on their road to the position of Wizard King: The Magic Knights Exam.

The three walked all the way from Hage. It would have been a calm journey if Asta hadn't been constantly egging the other two to race to the capital, which the two rejected. After days of crossing rivers, deserts, drinking Asta's horrid moguro leaf juice and all kinds of stuff, the capital finally appeared in the horizon.

"That's the Royal Capital! That's where the Wizard King is!" Asta bellowed as he started running. "Just you wait! I will be the Wizard King!" Yuno and Télos could only smile as they saw the guy they considered their rival running. They ran behind him. Their dream was right there, all they had to do was fight for it.

Hours later, they were wandering around the city, hallucinating with the different things the market offered. Even if two of them were better at hiding it than the other one.

"Awesome!" Asta screamed while watching someone peel an apple with magic. "Awesome!" He screamed while running at another stall.

"Yo Asta, keep it down will you? You're making us look at idiots" Télos scolded him. "We understand that this is nothing like Hage, but stop acting like when you were four" Asta was about to say something, but he was interrupted by the cry of a baby. The three lifted their gaze and saw a redhead girl around their age with other three children. The youngest was crying and she was trying to calm him down.

"It reminds me of the kids from the church" Asta pointed out. The two nodded in agreement. Some bells started ringing through the city. "The exam! We're gonna be late!"

Minutes later, they were next to the coliseum where the exam would take place. Many of the people that would take the exam were already there, waiting. Soon, those who would take the exam started entering the coliseum as people around cheered for them.

"I'll make my biggest effort!" Asta yelled while waving at them. Meanwhile, Télos and Yuno walked ahead of him, acting as if they didn't know him. Soon, they were waiting in a line to sign up for the exam.

"Yuno, from Hage Village" Yuno said. The guy on the stand wrote down his name.

"Yuno, from Hage, show me your grimoire" He requested. Yuno handed him the grimoire. The guy's eyes widened. "A four-leaf clover?" He asked, earning mutterings from everyone around. "You're number 164" He told him. Yuno nodded and walked away. Télos was next.

"Télos, from Hage"

"Télos, please, show me your grimoire" Télos obeyed. The guy stared at the crossed four-leaf clover and the dragon circling it. "I've never seen something like that, you're number 165" Asta got number 166.

All of those who were to take the exam had assembled in the center of the coliseum, waiting for instructions. Some were taking advantage of the situation and socializing with their soon-to-be teammates or rivals. Suddenly, a flock of blue and red birds fell from the sky, approaching the soon-to-be Magic Knights.

"The famous antibirds, the lower you magical power the more they will be drawn to you" Télos heard this and mentally cursed. None of those birds had approached him or Yuno, but he knew of someone whould have problems with them.

"AHHHH! GET AWAY FROM ME YOU WRETCHED BIRDS!" Asta screamed as most of the birds were circling him, earning a few laughs all over the arena. He started to run away from them. Télos sighed and readied himself to run after him, but a bird landing on his shoulder startled him.