Chapter Three: Truth Seekers

After a rather long free train ride to the Arcadia Bay National Park, Rachel and Clark both journeyed into David park where they felt a cool breeze hit them. The cool breeze blew their hair out of place as they wandered along, taking in the view that the park could provide. 

"This place is amazing. It's a wonder I didn't find out about this place sooner." Clark said in awe. 

Rachel giggled and took his hand, pointing up to a viewpoint above them that would provide a better view of the park. "Let's head up there. We'll be able to get a better look at things from there. It's a bit of a climb, so you know." 

As she said this, she took his hand. Anybody, even they, could figure the sight of their holding hands could make one assume they were together, much to Clark's disappointment that reality couldn't give him that satisfaction. 

And so, the two began their ascent up to the viewpoint. Clark was already tired halfway up the hill even if he and Rachel took their time making their way up. Once they were at the top, Rachel excitedly made her way over to a coin-operated telescope while Clark caught his breath before he caught up with her. 

"Hey, looks like the view is to die for," said Clark breathlessly. 

"Glad you approve. And as your reward for making it up here, I have a new game for us to play." 

"Another one?" 

"I like games," giggled Rachel as she leaned her arm on a telescope. "Deal with it. This is one I learned in theatre class. It's all about improvisation. This game involves spying on people from afar. Luckily, we've got some high-tech surveillance equipment right here. Let's fire it up." 

Producing a coin from her pocket, Rachel slipped it into the coin slot of the telescope and peeked through to see whether it would let her zoom in. To her disappointment, the telescope wasn't working. She grunted and banged her palm on the side of the telescope in hopes of making it work or the more unlikely possibility of getting her coin refunded. Alas, things weren't turning out as Rachel had hoped. 

"Shit. That was my last quarter. You?" Rachel groaned. 

Luckily, Clark so happened to always carry notes and coins on him for any predicament. From his pocket, Clark produced a quarter of his own. 

"Well lookie here! Guess who's got a quarter and who doesn't?" Clark teased. 

Rachel rolled her eyes with a smile and watched him walk over to the other telescope and slip the coin into said telescope. 

"Alright, yes! It works!" She exclaimed jollily as she peeked through one eyehole and Clark through the other. 

"What are we looking for?" 

Rachel didn't respond verbally as she was still trying to figure out how she was to play this off. At the same time, Clark got a whiff of Rachel's perfume which made him think of showering himself had he known he was going to hang out with Rachel freakin' Amber. 

"Alright, here's the game. You find some people for us to spy on, and then you and I will act out what they're saying and thinking. Let's give it a try." Rachel explained, briefly prying her eyes out of the eyehole to look over at Clark. 

There wasn't much for them to look at as there were only a small handful of people out and about. One one side of a bridge, there was a blonde woman in a white dress waiting for somebody underneath a tree. On the other side, there was a jogger and in front of him were two mates having a barbeque. Clark chose the jogger first. The telescope zoomed in on him and Clark commented on the man stretching. 

"Loving this guy." 

"What's he thinking right now?" 

" 'No matter how fast I go, I'll never outwalk this wedgie!' " Clark said with a deep voice.