Chapter Sixty-Seven: A Family Reunion

"Rachel...?"

A woman stood erect inside the room. She had medium blonde hair that went down past her chest, donning a pink shirt with a sunset and three palm trees arched slightly. A leather black skirt hung securely around her waist, reaching halfway down her thigh with black boots over her feet.

The two girls in the room watched on as Clark struggled to get up due to the pain that restricted his physical movement as he sought to close the distance between he and the woman familiar to both Clark and Max.

Bashfully, the blonde supermodel waved at the boy confined to lying in a hospital bed for a good week or more.

"Sorry for showing up unannounced, but as soon as I heard what happened, I got here as soon as I could." Rachel apologised as she approached Clark's bedside and stood right beside his bed and leaned over to plant a gentle kiss on his forehead.

Clark was still speechless at the fact that he was reunited with his girlfriend once again.

His reaction left Rachel heartfelt at how happy he was where she mirrored his emotions and brushed her hand down his cheek.

"Are you going to introduce me to your friend?"

"O-Oh... um, R-Rach, b-b-baby, this is Max Caulfield. My, my childhood friend. Max, this is Rachel." Clark stuttered nervously.

"You mean, that Max?"

"Mmhm."

Rachel looked over at the other girl in the room and shared an awkward smile her way and acknowledged her company.

"Hey there, Kate. Long time no see." Rachel said politely.

The dirty-haired blonde perked up, surprised that Rachel managed to remember her after their introduction a couple years back at church.

The room became awkwardly quiet as Rachel started to feel competitive for Clark's attention. It made her jealous when she saw Kate's hand getting caressed by Clark's. The rings on her right hand were fiddled with as well as the fingers themselves

"So... how are you? How's the modelling gig?" Clark asked on an exhale.

Rachel spied a spot to sit on on the bed. She motioned to take that spot. Her movement seemed almost hesitant as if by doing so, she would breach Clark's personal space. The only thing that made her slightly confused as to how close she was to remain near Clark was the long distance in their relationship and the lack of physical comfort from one another.

But what neither of them knew was that Clark wasn't bothered at all by it since he yearned to feel her touch again, while Rachel believed that there was some resentment for her being away from him for so long.

"It's been going. Been doing a bit of travel; going to new places, meeting new people, but the pay isn't what I thought it would be." Rachel shared openly. "But it's very competitive: what with all these other supermodels trying to get in first with all these big brands and clothes companies. Charles - my manager - has been doing what he could to make sure I get the most out of my career, but it doesn't help the fact that some girls don't appreciate how I'm 'cutting in line.' "

"But you're happy with what you're doing, right?"

Rachel's lips opened, motioning to speak when she found herself at a loss for words. She couldn't quite figure out what to say, according to her experience in the modelling industry which has left her doubtful about her career.

"I... I don't know anymore." Rachel trembled vocally.

"So, are you on some sort of hiatus?" Max asked politely.