Chapter Fifteen: The Play's The Thing

Smoke arose in the distance, creating a sombre ambience as the flames drew over the hills, but not closely enough where the flames were visible. The sky was painted grey as burning smoke filled the air, polluting the seaside stench.

Birds chirped in the distance as a gentle breeze swept through Arcadia Bay as the sun provided a magnificent sight of the bay as the sun began to set, drawing ever closer to the play's kick-off - before any audience members could arrive, the cast were still undergoing preparation for the play. Backstage, those who were to appear on stage rehearsed their lines intricately and with confidence, dressed in their costumes for the play.

There was no boundary Chloe Price couldn't cross as she casually strolled back stage to find tents set up and multi-coloured lanterns and lights glimmering from wires.

One person that was backstage with her was Mr Keaton, the head of the play. He was going over the scripts to ensure that it was all committed to memory before the play started. To say the least, he too was just as stressed as his students were.

Fortunately, there was a sign to direct Chloe on her way to the changing rooms where she could find her twin and his girlfriend. On her way to the girl's changing room, Chloe stumbled upon a cast member who was fearing her part in the play.

"Hey, Dana," greeted Chloe.

The brunette was so caught up attempting to perfect her lines that she didn't dare lose track with her oral warmup which consisted of a tongue-twister to ensure there were no stutters or stammers once she was on stage.

"Did Doug dig David's garden, or did David dig Doug's? Did Doug dig..." The brunette muttered to herself aloud.

Chloe paid no further attention to her and proceeded to make her way into the girl's changing room where she overheard someone talking to nobody else's company but their own.

"Come on, V. You got this. You. Got. This." A young blonde girl encouraged herself as she stared at her own reflection. "Shit, shit, shit. I can't do this I'm going to ruin the play."

The blonde girl whom Chloe identified as Victoria Chase, panicked and gulped down with some tea. She was in her regular clothes but her presence inside the girl's changing room was suspicious. 

There was a tea kettle and two cups of tea, the closest to Victoria was hers. A container of pills accompanied the cups of tea, in which Victoria popped a few in the second cup before stirring it with her pinkie to dissolve the solidified powder. 

In the reflection, Victoria caught the rebellious brunette spying on her and quickly hid the pills from sight. Victoria stared back with unkindness upon recalling her being sabotaged by that very same person.

"Uhh, what are you doing here?" Chloe asked without a modicum of respect for the short-haired blonde girl.

"I was making our dear star some refreshments. Some tea to help her instrument before the play. What are you doing here? This area is for cast and crew only. Orrrr... are you here to try and sabotage the play like you sabotaged my homework? You're just a-a little... 'Carbon Uranium Nitrogen Tin!' " Victoria responded, sharing the same tone of displeasure.

The fact that Victoria provided a failed comeback was all the more hilarious for Chloe, who fought every urge to burst out and laugh in her face.

But she let it slide.

Only just. 

Out of nowhere, Rachel appeared nowhere and stood silently beside Chloe as the two faced Victoria. The girl with beeline honey brown hair was sceptical as to what was going on but quickly found herself walking into a not-so-friendly conversation regarding the two since their last gathering.