Chapter Forty-Seven: One Of Those Days

Even from behind the counter, Joyce couldn't refrain from spying on the two teenagers sharing a pleasant conversation. Considering how drastically Max's behaviour changed, Joyce could tell that Max was softening up to her son, and that those overly polite and flirtatious gestures and comments went well over his head.

Regardless of that, Joyce managed to remain focused on her main duty: to server the customers of the Two Whales.

Every verbal mention and thought always reminded Joyce of the day she lost her soulmate. She could just remember the times when her family would visit her when she was at work. It always warmed Joyce's heart to reminisce the excited faces of her children when they were toddlers, bouncing for joy to see their mama.

That happiness was far from gone.

Joyce Price continued to serve at the Two Whales Diner for over a decade and she never faltered from the hard duty and labour and the long, excruciating hours she'd spent providing for her children. It didn't help that her boyfriend was a good-for-nothing but he still kept her happy.

From what felt like minutes turned into hours, Joyce had only just finished pouring a trucker his second cup of coffee when she craned her head around to the left side of the room where she last saw her son and his childhood friend. Upon noticing their absence from the farthest booth, Joyce quickly whipped her head in the direction of the front door where she just caught her son walking out the door.

She did just notice him look her way and smile fondly before drew his attention back to Max as they patiently waited for their bus to come past to drop them off back at school. Joyce lazily watched the back of Clark's and Max's heads, partially the sides of their faces, when she had nobody to occupy her time.

Joyce then took to wiping the bench when she heard the door open and a breeze sweep into the diner where Joyce spotted a shady stranger wander to the right side of the room. He never regarded her presence with a quick glance, even as she watched him occupy the furthest booth, where she came to notice a caravan parked outside of the diner. The most distinct features about the shady stranger was the bird tattoo on his neck and a cut-throat razor necklace dangling over his chest.

Thinking nothing of it, Joyce went back to work and minded her own business.

Upon their return to Blackwell, Clark and Max walked up to the front door, deep in discussion as they headed straight to their next class, which was Music. To Clark's express relief, the music teacher whom he once had a fight with no longer worked at Blackwell.

To their surprise, nobody was in the classroom just yet. Clark hastily grabbed an electric guitar and played a riff to a song that easily came to mind. While Max put her belongings on her desk, she watched and admired Clark's melody. As he kept playing, students in their class began to wander in and settle in.

A few of those who got the pleasure to watch Clark play had many positive things to think about, whereas there were a couple who completely disapproved of his presence in class. Victoria Chase, as being the main person who disliked Clark with a passion, was first to comment on his behaviour for handling instruments in the absence of a teacher.

"Do you ever consider the consequences of your actions, or are you literally a natural dumbass?" Victoria ridiculed the boy with fading blue hair.

The riffing ceased, followed by an exhausted sigh. Clark gently set the guitar back on its rack and ignored the blonde's cruel attitude.

"Got nothing to say? No witty comeback, Price?"

"Just leave him alone, Victoria." Max intervened. "Can you not pick on someone for just one day?"