Chapter Thirty-Six: Going To Make You A Star

"Here we are. Temple St.," announced Charles.

"What are we going to tell them? I haven't even contributed anything - you haven't even bothered to ask me where I want to get my photo taken." Rachel stated anxiously.

"Don't worry. I got it all worked out. You just have to trust me on this."

She didn't like it one bit, but what other choice did Rachel have other than to believe that he would overcome the predicament Rachel felt prohibited them from succeeding the application donation process. 

Traffic was much cleaner than it was earlier, in spite of the fact that it was beginning to reach late in the afternoon where rush hour was something absolutely horrendous. Yet when Charles and his nominee arrived at Town Hall, it was all too easy for them to acquire a parking vacancy.

Charles escorted Rachel inside Town Hall. The lobby was miraculously fashioned: the marble columns and the tile floors which glowed from the lights both inside and from the outside source. There was not a soul in sight but the echoed voices coming from other rooms said otherwise. It impressed Rachel very much to see how expensive the interior was as they made their way into different rooms, coming across people of high society as well as a queue of youngsters ranging between the ages of fifteen and twenty-four.

Like Rachel, those who were competing were accompanied by a guardian or carer, the only difference being was that they all carried folders with them or something valuable to contribute. People eyed the newcomer, ogling her with their eyes as Rachel followed closely behind Charles as they cut past the competitors by making their way towards two open doors.

The room inside was very large. There was a long mahogany table two seats wide and eight seats in length. On the furthest end of the table were three officials in black suits, two men facing Rachel and Charles while one woman with fiery orange hair sat with her back to a large open window.

The officials looked up from the forms handed to them when they heard footsteps approach as they knew nobody was permitted to enter unless they were called.

"Charles! What a pleasant surprise it is to see you here this fine afternoon, my friend," one of the male officials sang out heartily as he got up to approach Charles and Rachel.

"Ben, you old dog! How goes things with you?" Charles exclaimed matching his friend's enthusiasm.

Rachel stood on the spot while she watched the two men embrace in a hug to speak somewhat privately.

"Just business, as usual. Pray tell, who is this gorgeous young lady and why did you decide to misbehave and cut in line?"

"I've come to call up that debt you promised to repay me. I need you and your... partners to have a special consideration for the young lady behind me. Her name is Rachel Amber and I'd kindly ask you to take my word that she has the talent you're looking for."

Ben looked over Charles' shoulder at the brunette whose gaze wandered around the room in fascination if the layout and design.

"Charles, you know that's against regulations. This has taken us a long time to thoroughly look through each volunteer. We've not fully gone through each application and you come here, asking us to give this girl the chance of a lifetime whilst putting our time aside like a leper?"

"Well... when you put it that way, it sounds pretty controversial."

"Controversial doesn't come anywhere near close to match Mark and Deanne's frustration. In fact, it's minuscule. Charles, you know how much I value you as a friend and a promoter, but what you're asking is-"

"Out of your league? Cut the crap, Ben. I wouldn't be here if I knew you were just a businessman. I'm asking you, as your friend, to do this for me. Consider this you paying me back for that thing with Typhon."