Chapter Forty-Nine: Even Angels Need Angels

In the few short hours, Clark Price had managed to complete reading the intriguing novel lent to him by his dear friend, Kate Marsh. 

It was close to ten at night by the time Clark finished reading the book. He pondered about the decision on whether to return the book immediately or ensure it was returned to Kate in person. Either way, he was not fussed. 

In the end, he decided to return the book to her room without any fuss. 

Knowing how illegal it was to breach the girl's dormitory without authorisation, Clark knew to be cautious and inconspicuous, especially with his step-father patrolling the campus grounds. Should he be caught, the consequences would be severe. 

Clark wandered precariously out if the boy's dormitory and across to the adjacent dorm. A strange noise caught his attention, but thought nothing of it as he made his way into the girl's dormitory. He felt so unnerved having to sneak around territory that was forbidden to him as he stressed about alerting someone if his presence. But in spite of his concerns, he managed to get through with ease. As he made his way down the hall towards Kate's room, he noticed something strange.

There was a silhouette seated on the floor, leaning against Kate's dorm door. Hesitantly, he approached the figure where he found a girl's body rested unconsciously until he turned on his phone and shone the light at her face, revealing it to be none other than his best friend, Kate Marsh.

Clark gasped audibly, gruesomely vivid thoughts played through his mind, each one tainting that perfect, pure innocence that was Kate.

"Kate?! Kate! Katie, wake up, sweetheart." Clark whispered loudly as he gently tapped Kate's cheek in desperation for a response of any kind.

The dirty-haired blonde moaned very slightly, her head shifted. Clark took this as a sign that something was indeed wrong with her. So he carefully scooped her up in his arms and opened her door and carried her inside, kicking the door closed with his foot before lying Kate on her bed with was right next to the door on the left upon walking in.

He rested her on her back with her head elevated by her pillow as he sat beside her, holding her hand out of anxiety and concern for her well-being.

It seemed quite pointless for him to remain that way as he had a feeling she wouldn't likely wake up anytime soon until the morning after, but fortunately, Kate provided Clark a clear indication of her awakening.

"C-Clark? Wh-What are you...? W-Where am I?" Kate groaned.

"Hey, hey, hey. Take it easy. You're in your dorm. Kate, what happened at the party? Are you feeling alright?" Clark replied, his voice was soft and gentle when he spoke. 

Groggily, Kate attempted to sit up. He provided all the assistance he could provide, one of which was helping her sit upright. 

"I feel... weird. W-What did I do?" 

"That's what I'm trying to figure out, Katie. What do you remember?" 

Kate had taken a few minutes to think back on what had occurred at the party, step by step on what happened to the point she lost consciousness. 

"I remember... I went to the party and I saw Mick McGee there. We talked a little bit and I-I drank a bit of wine. I took one sip of red wine, I swear to God. Y-You don't think somebody put something in my drink, do you?" 

"Who served you?" 

It took a minute for Kate's memory to jog until she could recall the face. 

"Ty Moore." 

"Ty Moore? Did you see him put anything in it?" 

"No. I saw... I think I saw Nathan Prescott doing something around the bar when I walked in. He even came to help me when I started to feel weird and dizzy. He said he would take me to a hospital." 

Fear and anxiety struck across Clark's face. To hear Nathan Prescott's name get mentioned made Clark's blood boil. Subconsciously, he closed his fist without realising that his hand was holding onto Kate's wrist. 

"Ow. Ow! Clark! You're hurting me!" Kate whimpered. 

Clark gasped, instantly releasing his grip. Fear was written across his face over as he jumped off Kate's bed but kept a fairly close distance between them. 

"I-I-I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Kate. I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to-" 

Through fond physical contact, Kate reached over and took his hands into hers. 

"It's okay, sweetie. I know you would never hurt me on purpose and you mean well. But Clark... I need to find out if Nathan Prescott helped me... or hurt me - after that party. Should I go to the police?" 

Clark exhaled in disappointment. Conflicted by her proposed idea, Clark pondered heavily with thoughts and words running quickly through his mind. 

"Katie... I would love to go to the police. But given that we don't have an evidence thus far, they're not going to believe a thing we say." 

When she opened her mouth to protest, her interrupted her and implored her to listen to what he had to say first. 

"Therefore, I propose you let me handle Nathan Prescott and I will get answers him: one way or another..." Clark grumbled, rage's venom lingered in his tastebuds. "I'll start investigating tomorrow afternoon and see what Nathan Prescott will have to say about all this." 

Tears began to swell in his eyes. Kate noticed this almost immediately after begging for advice. She felt a tinge of guilt for how affected he was. 

"Clark, maybe you shouldn't do this. You've already got a lot on your plate. I really appreciate you being here for me, but I think you should just go back to bed." 

"Kate, I'm doing this for you." 

"But-" 

"Nu-pup! No. A. Word. You asked for my help, so now I'm going to stop at nothing until Prescott is brought to justice. I know he's involved, I know he had something to do with my sister disappearing. If I can't look out for my sister - which I suspect is why she ran away - I still have hope that I can protect you..." His voice wobbled, cracking from emotion. It was killing him inside knowing that he was still far from discovering the truth about his sister's disappearance. 

Kate opened her arms out and called him in to a hug. He accepted her embrace and sobbed into her chest while she rubbed his back and hummed a tune to help pacify his agony. 

Slowly, Kate leaned to one side, pulling on Clark so that she and Clark were lying down on her bed. It didn't take long for him to stop crying until he and Kate had fallen into slumber.