Chapter Twenty: Amber Embers

With no word from Chloe, Clark grew all the more anxious if what trouble she could potentially run into like before at the junkyard. 

Being in Rachel's company helped soothe his worries quite easily as he simply napped with her in her hospital bed while her parents waited outside of the room, waiting for something to happen. Due to the heavy lack of interest in other things except Rachel's condition, both James and Rose subsequently fell asleep. 

The lack of warmth in the room resulted in the two lovers snuggling together with care, in fear of pressuring Rachel's wounded, bandaged arm. They still laid on top of the bed with Clark still on his back and Rachel now snuggled up against his side with her face nuzzled in the nook of his neck. They were so still that their breathing rhyme matched. 

It wad around midday when a visitor came to check up on Rachel. Clark's mate, Mick McGee, managed to discover the room Rachel Amber occupied with the intent to share his empathies with the parents by presenting a bouquet of gladioli flowers he'd brought. 

A knock came from the door to the room. The noise startled both Clark and Rachel awake, to which he reluctantly climbed out of bed and dragged his feet across the floor to the door. Clark opened the door where he found himself in the company of his school mate, much to his surprise that he'd come to visit. 

"Mick?" 

"Hey, mate. I, uh, just wanted to swing by and drop these off." Mick replied casually. 

Mick stretched the arm he held the bouquet over to Clark for him to take. The act of kindness was so touching Clark couldn't help but give his friend a hug. Given the current situation with Rachel, it was emotionally draining to sit through her recovery stage. 

"You okay, brother? You look like shit." Mick asked concerningly when he noticed Clark struggling to keep his eyes open. 

"I'll be okay." Clark replied hoarsely. "I've just been inside with Rachel, making sure she's okay." 

The Irishman put his hand on Clark's shoulder and shot a comforting smile his way to further show his support. 

"She needs you more than what's said. Look after her well, brother." 

Mick then took his leave by saying goodbye to Clark and the Amber's on his way out. It meant a lot to Clark that his mate showed up to express himself towards Clark. 

There was one glance towards James and Rose before Clark ducked back into the room to lie back down with Rachel. Before he laid back down with her, he put the flowers on a table and made his way back over to the bed. He judged the fact that they were both so cold sleeping was because they'd slept on top of the bed the whole time. As much as he wanted to fix the sheets over them, Clark conjured up a better motive in relieving them of the cold sensation by searching for blankets. 

By rummaging around the room, Clark arrived to the conclusion that there were no blankets to suffice. As a result of his absence, Rachel stirred where she laid. Strenuously, Rachel lifted her head up and craned it around to get a look around the room for the person she sought. 

"Clark?" Rachel called faintly. 

Hastily, Clark rushed over to Rachel's side and knelt down beside her bed. He took her hand into his and gently caressed the back of her hand with his palm. 

"I'm here, baby. I'm still here." Clark muttered soothingly. "You feeling okay? Any better?" 

In response, Rachel hummed and nodded her head very faintly. 

"I'm going to just lift you up so I can pull the quilt up, okay?" 

Clark proceeded to reach his arm underneath Rachel's body and lifted her up a bit so he could yank the quilt down before pulling it over her. Now that he was satisfied, Clark climbed back into bed with her and laid on his side this time so that they were facing each other. This position wasn't satisfactory for her so she crawled on top of him, much to his bewilderment. Clark didn't question it and allowed it.