𝟏𝟎

CHAPTER 10
– HES BACK

I wake up to the sound of Mateo brushing his teeth, I could hear the brush scrubbing on him til the bed. I flicker my eyes open while a yawn escaped my mouth at the same time. Turning my head side to side, causing my raven hair to swish, I look for the source of the noise.

I couldn't see anything particular apart from the desk chair, now busy with some of Mateo's materials such as his tie, or, the green curtains wide open, something that I never did since Romeo disappeared.

Even the coffee machine making a drink for what I guessed was for Mateo was not usual. I always skipped breakfast.

I was feeling rather odd to see other people do normal habits that I abandoned after my short period of grief.

Even when we both went downstairs, in the same majestic, gold-themed restaurant, but this time to have a proper breakfast, I felt so strange by simply shoving the bacon and eggs in my mouth that the leaps in my stomach wouldn't stop bothering me.

"Why is your face so twisted, is everything okay?" Mateo suddenly asks, rising his head from his maple syrup-covered pancakes, watching me with furrowed eyebrows after noticing the painful expression I had with my hand clasped to my belly.

His light coloured freckles passionately complimenting his beautiful nose drew the attention of so many girls, even when we were just kids, that even I found him rather hot, but I never liked him that way, of course.

"I'm not used to eating much." I simply reply, shrugging my shoulders before attacking my meal with agressive pokes, using my fork.

Mateo practically dragged me from my comfy and soft hotel bed, forced me to get prepared, brush my teeth and hair, change in some applicable clothes and the next thing I knew, he pulled me out of the green-coloured fancy room to take me at the breakfast buffet.

As soon as we arrived, he immediately took ahold of my plate and poured various meals on it, that I'm sure ten people couldn't even finish.
"You lost weight." He kept on insisting after each portion added to my dish.

Although my stomach was growling so loudly like if a violent cat was scratching my insides, I couldn't bring another spoon to my mouth if I didn't want to throw up.

To my relief, Mateo didn't notice anything, he was still taking care of emptying his own recipient full of pancakes. I gently push my plate away from me, causing a small scratching sound that immediately alerted him.

His dark brown, almost black hair does a swift motion as his head rises once again, looking at me in a glare that I translated to 'don't you dare'. I pout to him playfully before getting up and walking to the exit, turning my head only once to look at his stunned reaction of me not caring of what he thinks.

I mean sure, we care for each other, but I don't have to eat a whole bunch just because he wanted me to.

My mind was in clouds when I entered the elevator alone, not even checking to see if Mateo followed me.

Once again, my thoughts went towards Romeo.

I didn't know him much, at all actually, but I couldn't explain the strong connection I felt as soon as I noticed his romantic gaze under his mask, only showing his beautiful amber eyes, when he offered me his arm to lead me to a dance I would never forget or even when he accepted to escape from a father that he was fearing his whole life to save me.