The Kingmaker 🤌🏻

By YouCanCallMeCorn

Aaannd... I've found another gem!

The writer had advised me that it was their first book. Therefore, I did not expect too much.

Now, I have to say it.

Damn, YouCanCallMeCorn is this your first book??

Let's get to work.

The book is a fantasy-historical. Settled in an ancient court, the story revolve around a male dancer of the royal family who's ordered by the Crown prince to befriend the exiled prince of a nearby kingdom, the Blue Dragon, in order to put him back on the throne.

Obviously, in order to wreck havoc on the kingdom.

Stucked with an hated king, the reign of the Blue dragon is going to revolt, causing instability. And an opening for the Crown prince to help, asking for the Blue dragon's immense reserve of gold in return.

Positive notes:

1. Perfect Rhythm

Descriptions are perfectly painted, as an impressionist painter.

Quickly and with just the right amount of adjectives, the author focus on a few aspects of a room or a character, that gives off the mood for the entire situation. Might be the flowers painted in the Crown prince's room, the hair of a dancer, the marble floor in a room.

Once set the mood for a convo or an action, it takes place quickly.

The main character, observe the scenes and his thoughts describe the subtexts.

The mix of action, description, subtext and thoughts flows perfectly. Loved it.

2. Charm

Each and every character is full of charm.

Yet, they never lose on realism, basing their charms off of personality traits that perfectly fits their roles. The dancer is pure and innocent, because she's young and uneducated. The Prince is cunning and charming, because he's a political animal. At the same time, he's tired and stressed out, because he's just sixteen.

Every time a character disappears, I miss them and look forward to their next entry.

3. Worldbuilding

The setting is quite intricate.

The politics, the conflicts, the relationships are well braided, absolutely not an easy task for a first time writer.

Neutral notes:

1. Images

Please, everybody, USE the damn photo icon.

I've put it in the "neutral" notes this time because honestly your descriptions are incredible, you don't really need images.

Yet, this doesn't mean your readers wouldn't be pleased by a couple of images.

Negative notes:

1. From a great power, comes great responsibilities.

Ok, I'm kidding.

Don't get God complex, please.

What I mean is: your descriptions makes a character stand out.

When describing secondary characters or people that will show up only once, try limiting yourself. Just because I'm gonna get fond of them quite quickly.

---

IN GENERAL:

Thank you for your trust, I've found what I'm reading tonight ;)

Keep working! You will be successful.