The road to Nowhere

By @itz_nuwanda

Honestly, this book left me confused.

It has almost no views (16 for the first chapter, then barely 2-3, then somehow 0?),  therefore I expected a story that either had just started (let's say, 2-3 chapters), which would explain the low views, or a very, very, bad written story. 

This one is neither. Doted with a great quality, it has literally no story. The impression is that the writer's intent was never to have views. I might be wrong. 

Anyway, the story is a weekend trip of two friends driving to the funeral of the father of one of them. While driving, and talking, they will discuss their point of view on a lot of important topic.

POSITIVE NOTES

1. Atmosphere.

As the cover promise, I would associate this book with a rainy forest.

No story leads the book, don't expect to get too passionate.

Yet, it has a calm, reflexive atmosphere, a delight to an exhausted reader.

2. Realism

Having the main focus of the story on the two main characters obviously require a pretty intensive study of the duo.

In this case, the author studied their background, their story, their relationship, the dynamic between the two, their habit and way of thinking.

They are pretty much two incredible neorealistic portraits of two normal people.

NEUTRAL NOTES

1. Again, realism.

In my last review I nominated realism as a positive note as well. Yet, @HappyCoati started from stereotypes to build realistic characters, securing herself a certain charme. In your case, I wouldn't be surprised to meet Neil or Eva on the street, but I surely wouldn't remember them.

I put it into the neutral notes simply because, depending on your intent, this could be a flaw or a compliment.

If you wanted to write an high quality novel to challenge yourself (and maybe satisfying your ego a bit with your abilities?) then... chapeau. They are incredibly well written.

If you wanted to attract readers to an opera that is indeed of fine quality, I would add a little charm, or mystery, to the characters. Even if it meant to sacrifice a little realism.

2. Dual POV

It's a great choice. But in this case, It feels like you aren't quite using it to its full potential. When the two characters knows what the other is thinking, when they're together all the time, doing the same things... It's kinda useless.

Maybe one could be holding a secret to the other?

BAD NOTES:

1. Rhythm

Whatever your intent was, you should let the novel breath.

Humor can be inserted pretty much everywhere, even in a trip to a funeral.

I understand your intention was never to be funny and humor might break your atmosphere, but there are tons of other way to let your novel "breath".

They might see something unexplicable on the side of the road.

Meet someone interesting.

The problem is that the deep conversations that are the core itself of your book, are way, way too much frequent. In those rare moments when they aren't talking about an important matter, they're doing... nothing. Buying cigarettes. Eating breakfast. Therefore, there isn't anything to distract your readers. I'm sorry to say this, but you story become too heavy to read. It's impossibile to read more than 2-3 chapters a time, making it hard to be passionate about the story. 

2.  Negativity

Neil's unlucky. The book starts with the announce of his father's death, after all. 

But even more, his relationship with his father was terrible. He was abused. He was poor. He even lost his mother as a young boy. Even if a tragic backstory is a common backbone for main characters, in this case the problem is realism. He suffer in such a realistic way that is hard to look at.

Also,  there is no "light at the end of the tunnel", no intention or promise or way to feel better. It's pure desperation. 

At the same time, since there isn't anything to let the reader bond with him before (or during) the sufferance, it's hard to... care. I feel so bad for writing that. Maybe try to let the readers a bit into Neil's and Eva relationship. She cares for him. Show the readers why, so that they can feel a bit of empathy too.

IN GENERAL: 

This was a weird book. Not a bad one. But a weird one for sure. I admire your writing skill, yet, at the same time, I feel no desire to read it again... sorry.