Chapter 3

Meanwhile, back in Manhattan, a widespread search was made to find the lost Second. Goliath ordered everyone not to rest until Brooklyn had been found, still furious at Radar's men for taking him away.

Lex reported back no signs of Brooklyn, as well as Talon's group coming up with no leads either. Angela was in distress, though he wasn't her mate, still feared for Brooklyn lost out there with those evil humans.

After a week of searching, Hudson convinced Goliath to pull it off for now. Goliath held his head, tears in his eyes, not wanting to accept Brooklyn to be gone.

Hudson took his hand. "I'm sure the lad will find his way back; we just got to keep going on with our lives until then," he said sadly, staring out into the distance. Broadway still wanted to keep looking.

"But-but where could those thugs have taken our brother?" Broadway asked in sorrow.

"I've interrogated Radar but he wouldn't talk. It could be possible that they took Brooklyn out of New York state altogether, we just need to figure out where."

Lex felt his eyes water further at the idea of Brooklyn being miles away in some maniac's clutches now, sniffling a bit. Broadway hugged him, hating too about the Trio being split up. But whatever happened, they would hold onto the hope that Brooklyn could find the strength to escape and come back home.

....

The Boss gazed at his still sleeping prize, who twitched, showing signs of waking up. The night was almost done but the serum should do its job.

Brooklyn's head hurt upon awakening, mostly from having been put to sleep too much. He winced in pain from something latched onto his head, keeping his mouth shut. His vision readjusted itself to find his surroundings in a lab-like room. This made him panic again. He didn't want to become a lab specimen! His eyes trailed over to a human nearby; the same one who took him from his home.

He swallowed nervously, trying to talk but the leather muzzle kept him from it. The hooded human smirked under his mask. "I'm afraid there will be no talking from you, since you'll bite us too." Brooklyn snarled silently. Heck yeah, I would bite creeps like you! Nobody would turn me into an experiment! He thought savagely, despite the muzzle hurting his beak.

The boss grabbed his muzzled beak again, an insane gleam in his eyes. "I have researched your species thoroughly, Gargoyle, and know of your stone ability. In case you're confused, I had invented a serum to keep your stone sleep from you, since you're mine..." he taunted. Brooklyn's ears flattened in shock from this, already seeing the sun peeking through the small window, but he didn't fall asleep.

It made Brooklyn hyperventilate, staring at his 'owner' in horror that he could do terrible sorcery such as this. This took away what made him a gargoyle in the first place! He then whimpered slightly, tugging again. His owner drew a small knife, making Brook struggle again.

"I assure you, there's plenty of fun to be had soon, but not until I have learned your name, if you got one..." sneered the man. Brooklyn continued to shout muffled from the muzzle, which was still hurting him, cutting off his proper air flow in his mouth. His owner smirked. "No name then? Such a pity. But I can think of a good one. Perhaps... Diablo. It means Devil in the Spanish tongue, which suits you perfectly."

Brooklyn shook his head. He hated that name; this man didn't have the right to do this! He seemed to sense Brooklyn's thoughts though, the knife at his throat now.

"You don't think I have the legal rights to name you? Well I do. I paid for you!" spat the man ruthlessly, digging the blade but not to cut Brooklyn, who flinched in pain and fear, wondering again why his clan hadn't found him yet. He kept fighting, crying out.

The doctor couldn't tolerate Diablo's resistance; it was hard for him to get close without his body moving. He glared at the boss, who still had the knife on the creature's throat.

"Boss, his struggling won't do. May I make a suggestion? Perhaps no food or water for three or four days. That should settle his resistance, should it, Diablo?" He asked, giving Brooklyn a sinister smile. Brooklyn shut his eyes from being called Diablo, tugging even more. Boss nodded, a twisted smile of his own appearing. "Hear that, Diablo? No nourishment for four days straight, and perhaps we can put you outside. Should make you more submissive, I think..." he purred. Brooklyn didn't like that, whimpering and growling, until the man hit his ribs, and he muffledly cried in pain.

"No back talk, like you can do that anyway. Take him outside and tie him tight!"

The men laughed, uncuffing Brooklyn, who immediately tried to run but got winded, being forcefully dragged outside after. Brooklyn could now see the back yard area, which was a huge open space, and a mountain range. He swallowed in fear and sadness at realizing how far away he was now. His buyer took his head.

"You see where you are, welp? You're in Montana. No way your family can reach out this far to save your pathetic skin, Diablo. So, get cozy because this will now be your new home. Over there, boys!" Boss ordered with his sadistic smile. The thugs dragged a resisting Brooklyn to a tree close to the mansion with some chains. One they nailed into the tree and attached a cuff around Brooklyn's neck, and next tied his hands behind his back. Brook struggled as much as he could, the cuff around his neck choking him, for they nailed the chain into the tree rather well.

Just when I thought this couldn't get any worse... The red male thought sadly to himself, still struggling, feet kicking. He missed hearing his own voice, too. But then, Boss appeared again, his face still hidden. Brook realized he never learned this guy's name, but still looked in fear at his captor, who had his arms folded.

"Now, Diablo, you will stay out here for four days, and we shall not provide you with any food or drink. Let's see how well the Montana weather beats you down. Any sign of escaping and more hurt shall come your way. Got it?" He threatened, the blade flashing in the sunlight. Brook's ears flattened, eyes scared, when nodding. Boss then stroked his hair like a dog, making him look away in anger and humiliation. "Good boy. Enjoy yourself, you freak!" sneered Boss. Him and his goons left Brooklyn.

Brooklyn shut his eyes, tugging his wrists which hurt from the cuffs. He hoped he could survive but it was doubtful. The hot Montana sun blazed down upon him, and his belly began to rumble. His mouth felt dry, as well. How was he gonna get out of this? Brook did his best to get comfortable, lying down against the tree behind him that hardly offered shade. Already, his skin felt warm from this heat.

But he had to admit, it was rather nice to see what the world looked like during the day. He heard small field birds singing, a tiny smile under his muzzle. He never heard day birds except on tv.

Please let me survive, and find my family... please... Brooklyn thought, loneliness already coming up inside his brain, tears coming now that he was alone, wishing he could talk to pass the time, wondering if his clan was still looking for him.

...

Meanwhile, Brooklyn's buyer watched his little pet lying down against the tree, breathing heavily. He grinned, thinking to himself that he had found the perfect gargoyle to break and force it to obey him.