Chapter 37 - Bronx Tail

The sun set over the buildings of Manhattan the next night, and Hudson woke up from his sleep first, yawning and stretching. He saw Brooklyn still stone there, a relieved smile on his face. It worked.

Then Brooklyn's stone began to crack, eyes glowing, and he broke out of it; yawning/roaring and stretching his arms. His eyes then returned to normal, trembling slightly, Brook turned to see Hudson. "D-did I change?" he asked. The elder nodded. "Ye did, lad. I saw you break from the stone skin."

The red male gave a sigh, happy the spell was a success. But then saw his scars on his arms still there, frowning now, rubbing his left arm. Hudson understood how he felt, taking hold of his arm gently.

"Don't let them scars bother ya, Brooklyn. Be it a reminder that you're a survivor no matter what the situation." This made Brooklyn sniffle slightly, having missed Hudson's wisdoms very much, nodding quietly.

Eventually, the door was knocked on, and Brooklyn looked up, somewhat nervous again, but it was only his green brother with a tray and a smile on his face. Hudson nodded to the smaller gargoyle. "Hello, Lexington. Ye can come in."

Lexington went in carefully since Brooklyn still wasn't completely his normal self yet but was getting there. He handed the tray to Hudson. "Hey, bro. Broadway made you breakfast. And I'm glad your stone sleep is back."

Brooklyn nodded. He felt somewhat better physically, but nothing could rid him of these still present scars, taking the tray from Hudson. "Thank you," the red male mumbled softly, ears still flat, but began to eat. The two others watched Brooklyn eat quietly so not to spook him.

Brooklyn sighed when his stomach felt full, smiling gratefully at his brother. "Tell Broadway it was good," he said. Lex nodded. "I will. But Hudson, me and Bronx want to do our own patrolling and exploring today. Is that alright?"

The elder nodded his head. "That should be fine. Brooklyn, do you think you're ready for a patrol with me or Goliath yet?"

That made Brook tremble, still feeling that Anthony was close by, shaking his head no. "S-still can't." He croaked. Hudson rubbed his back. "Hey, easy, Laddie. Ya don't need to yet. We can continue to give it time." Brooklyn then agreed wholeheartedly, with Lex's face looking sad.

Lex couldn't imagine a muzzle being put on his red brother in such a way. It was just too cruel for him to think about and hoped it wouldn't happen again. He took the tray then turned to leave.

"I'll see you later Brook, alright?" He asked, turning to go on his little outing with Bronx.

Brooklyn just hoped that Lex would be alright out there. It had always seemed like whenever he and Lex used to take Bronx out somewhere, they would always end up in some kind of trouble, getting captured by some enemy or beaten up really good. It made him shiver.

Hudson sensed the red male's dismay, and he rubbed his back some more. "They'll be alright, lad."

"I hope so, Hudson." Brook replied.

...

On his way out of the castle, Lex met up with Bronx. "Come on, boy. Want to go out with me?" He said excitedly. Bronx perked up, wagging his tail. "Come on then."

Lex and Bronx were on their way out when they ran into Goliath. "And just where are you two going?" he asked firmly.

"I want to take Bronx out for a run tonight. Can I, Goliath? He doesn't get out as much as we do." Lex explained.

"You know that you have to be very careful, Lexington, with the Quarrymen and other humans that are afraid of us out there." Goliath declared.

"Yeah, I know. We'll be extra vigilant, I promise. Bronx just really needs some exercise." Lex said.