Chapter 4

The sun kept on baring its heat down onto the Second while he struggled throughout the day. It had only been his first day and Brooklyn could already feel his stomach demanding for food.

He tugged as hard as he could until it rubbed his skin raw. Brooklyn had a hard time breathing properly too, no thanks to the muzzle on his beak and that cuff attached snugly around his neck.

He leaned over, ears flattened, wincing from his belly rumbling. It had growled six times on his first day, beginning to hurt his insides. Brooklyn would give anything to have a piece of meat, even tough bread and water. But for the moment, his new 'master' wanted to discipline Brooklyn by starvation.

It was still lonely in his head too without hearing his own voice. Brooklyn tried attempts to open his beak, but that damned muzzle was still too snug on him.

That bastard really did a good number on not wanting me to speak. I could suffocate in this thing, Brook thought to himself. The grass didn't feel good on his feet and he wished to turn to stone again. He was still mystified at how he achieved this serum, hoping a doctor can get it out of his veins when coming home.

If I do make it home; New York is so far... would I even be able to travel that far? Would Goliath choose a new Second if he thinks I'm... dead? Brooklyn then realized, feeling his tears beginning to come again, sniffling. He still hated himself for stupidly running away over a pointless argument.

Boss came to see his precious Diablo, who was already showing signs of hunger and depression even after just one day, a whip in his hands too, to begin his discipline. Brooklyn jumped from his presence, narrowing his eyes.

So he's still resistant, but we'll fix it. And perhaps I should brand Diablo as well, to mark him as my own, so he doesn't forget who his owner is. Sounds so delicious, Boss thought, smirking sadistically.

Brooklyn didn't know what the hooded man brought that whip out for, but it wasn't a good sign. He swallowed his dry throat, coughing from it. The man stood over him.

"How pleasant for me to see you tied this way, Diablo. But if you wish to know my identity, you won't, because I'm not that stupid to tell everyone my name. But you will call me Master, Creature. If you behave, the muzzle will come off and you can give me proper respectful words to your owner. How about it?"

But Brooklyn wouldn't do it. This guy was too evil for him to submit to. No matter what he does, Brook wouldn't let himself give into this human's cruelty. Boss glared. "Still resistant, impressive. But perhaps this can do something?" He raised the whip, bringing it down.

The red male winced in agony from the lashes hurting his skin. He panted inwardly in pain from further lashes, which was six of them. He kept fighting though, still glaring at his owner, whom he decided to call Shadow Man after his 5th lash, because of the hood and shadowy nature.

Shadow Man grabbed his throat above the cuff, lifting Brooklyn up with surprising strength for a human. Brooklyn gritted his teeth, wiggling weakly, wanting the pain to stop. "Listen well, Diablo. Hunger and weather will soon wear down your spirit and keep watch, for I could come again and whip you more. Understood?" Brooklyn couldn't speak, so he nodded timidly, Shadow Man tossing him into the dirt, clouds of it making Brook cough.

After he left Brooklyn, he weakly got to his sitting position with his cuffed hands, gazing at the lash wounds on his skin and wings as well, wheezing a bit, for they stung badly, the sun not helping the matter any, feeling PTSD from running away from home slowly beginning to eat him inside, breathing erratically.

Calm down Brook, just keep being calm, you can survive, you're a gargoyle. Can't let these humans... get to me... he thought bravely, staring at the looming mansion, which was his new 'home' and the sun setting, glad to get relief in his element.

....

The sun at last set, crickets began to chirp, and it looked like the humans went to bed. Brooklyn trembled from relief, wondering if he was gonna make it without nourishment for the next three days since one was now past.

His stomach growled once again. With his hands cuffed behind him, Brook couldn't rub it to soothe his crying tummy, a frown on his muzzled beak, adjusting his body against the tree to get comfortable best he could again, staring up at the bright moon. It was beautiful tonight; stars were everywhere unlike in the city.

Tears kept coming, from both lash wounds and sadness, wondering what his clan was doing right now, and if Goliath now hated him for that argument, and if he really wanted to see Brooklyn again. This really made Brook realize how much he needed his clan, and he couldn't do very well on his own so much.

I... I miss you all... Brooklyn sorrowfully thought to himself, tears falling further, his vision slowly going dark from his tiredness, unable to stay conscious anymore.

.....

Chapter felt shorter than I thought. Next chapter is a little longer.