Chapter 21

Brooklyn remained on the Henderson Ranch for the next few days during his healing. He stayed in Mark's treehouse so his parents remained unnoticing of his presence.

Mark went back and forth to visit his gargoyle friend, who was still a bit scared from his horrible time with Anthony but began to feel more comfortable with his presence each day.

He even brought Brooklyn some of his books for him to read such as Treasure Island and such. Brooklyn felt happy to be able to pick up a book to read again. The red male wouldn't look up from them for a while.

Mark had tapped on his shoulder while he read Lord of the Rings. Brooklyn jerked a little but relaxed when seeing Mark there, who had the first aid kit again.

"If you're ready, Brooklyn, we need to get those stitches out before I go with my mom to help her do a veterinary appointment," he said.

Brooklyn had forgotten about his stitches thanks to the more friendly company, but this made him nervous, swallowing. "I-I guess..." he said.

Mark smiled. "Ok! Just hold still as best you can, alright?"

Brooklyn nodded, laying back down on the cushions as Mark gently took the bandage off, and using tiny scissors, he began to take out the stitches. Brooklyn kept his eyes shut the whole time as he usually did. Mark though had a question he forgot to ask at their first meeting.

"Brooklyn, I learned gargoyles turned to stone during the day, but you haven't at all. What happened to cause it?" He asked to keep Brooklyn from shaking.

Opening his eyes a peek, Brooklyn answered. "It-it was... him. H-he used a terrible serum on me to take away my stone sleep, just so they could h-hurt me more..." Brooklyn said, with his ears flattened from the trauma of it. He couldn't even say his name.

Mark had frowned. "That's just wrong. No one should take away what makes you what you are," he said.

The red one nodded. "I know. He even claims he has all the money to control me," he whispered, as the last stitch had been taken out, making him flinch. Mark felt sorry for him while using alcohol to clean his wound where the stitches were. "Don't listen to Anthony, Brooklyn. He has no right to treat you that way. But your stitches are out now."

Brooklyn smiled at him again. "Thank you," he said, gently rubbing the area where the stitches once were. Mark then packed up the supplies. "I can bring you some food and water to keep you satisfied while I'm with my mom since normally these types of appointments take most of the day. Just stay out of sight of my little sister," he said. Brooklyn nodded, settling into the pillows to relax until his supplies came.

Later that afternoon before they left, Mark returned to see the sleeping Brooklyn there, looking much more relaxed than before but still sad and troubled on his face. Sighing in sympathy, he sat down the cooler that had sandwiches and such, as well as four bottles of water. Brooklyn stirred awake from his nap, looking up at his friend.

Mark opened up the cooler. "Hey, my mom and I are ready to leave soon, but I got some food to tie you over until we're back since you need all your strength to travel back to your home," he said.

Brooklyn grinned a bit. "Thank you, Mark, for doing all this. But you really didn't."

He shrugged. "I just like to lend help to anyone who needs it. We won't be home until I think after five so just continue to take it easy and not wander out too far. I don't want Anthony or my parents to take you away."

"I promise," Brooklyn said, taking one of the water bottles and getting a drink as Mark left him alone again. He got up from his sleeping spot to peek out the window to watch his young friend leave with his mom in her car.