Chapter 17

Peeta and I fly back to District 12 in his hovercraft, Gale and Megan hitched a ride home as they're both headed back with us for a break. As we touch down on victors green and decend the ramp we're welcomed by a large number of friends and well wishers from the town. Many we know but there are also lots of people I recognise but have never spoken to. Gale and Megan say their goodbye's and head off to their home in the seam while Peeta and I fight our way through the crowd and up the steps to our home. It's a relief when Peeta finally closes the door behind us and we can relax for a few days. We unpack and Peeta makes a fantastic meal from the meager food supplies we've got left in the kitchen cupboards. That evening we sit in front of the fire but it's not long before Peeta falls asleep with Rue in his arms. I take her up to bed and tuck her in before I return to Peeta and shake him awake. He jumps and blinks his eyes in the fading light trying to wake himself up.

"Come on my love, lets get you to bed"

"Okay" he replies while yawning.

I lead him upstairs undress him and put him to bed and in a matter of seconds he's fast asleep. I climb in next to him and Peeta instincively puts his arms around me as I slowly drop off into a peaceful dreamless sleep.

Thr next morning I wake early, I look out the window at the dawn and smile, what a perfect morning for a walk in the forest I think to myself and decide straight away to head out into the cold morning air. I dress quietly, trying not to wake Peeta and Rue, then silently tiptoe out of the bedroom and down the stairs. I pull on my hunting jacket and boots, take my game bag and head out into the cold. I close the front door quietly and in an instant I'm confronted by Viper, one of the Rapiers, standing at the bottom of the steps below me.

"Katniss, where are you going?" he whispers, obviously picking up on the fact that I'm trying to be as quiet as possible.

"I'm just going out for a walk, in the forest"

"Does Lyndon know, he said that he wants you and Peeta together, so we can keep you safe"

"Come on Viper, I'll be okay, I've been hunting in these woods since I was a little girl, I'll be fine"

He looks at me while he weights up the decision, does he let me go and defy Lyndon's orders or will he make me return to the house with Peeta aand Rue?

He smiles at me, the tattoo of the snake's mouth on his cheek's curling up at the edges as he smiles.

"Okay Katniss, dont be too long and don't wander off too far, You're not just the Mockingjay, you're also the first lady don't forget"

I smile at him and pat his arm.

"Thanks Viper, I won't forget"

I enter the woods in my usual spot, just past where the old fence once stood then walk on in the cold early morning air and take in the setting. The tall strong trees, the dank cold atmosphere and the damp fallen leaves on the forest floor which cushion my foot steps. I finally reach the rock overlooking the valley which stretches out before me. I sit and my mind starts to wander and think of what's been happening in our lives, mine and Peeta's. For me my options were simple, to return as the Mockingjay was the obvious thing to do to help Peeta and the rebels. But Peeta, he looks tired and run down and utterly consumed by the job of running the country. I'm proud of him and how he's thrown everything into it but I just long for the day when he can hand over control to Ellie. Despite her young age I just know she'll be the perfect person to lead this country. Plutarch has already started pushing her more into the limelight and this weekend while Peeta's away she'll be running things with Plutarch.

I hear a sound far off to my left, a Rustle in some bushes. I glance over to see a bird take flight from a tree in the general direction of the sound and I dismiss it, I turn back to the valley and continue on with my thoughts.