Chapter 52

I only make it a short distance before I have to duck back down into cover among some bracken bushes. If I keep myself low enough I can stay completely out of sight and it'll need someone to practically walk over me for them to find me. I hear the sound of running as the others draw closer to Cashmere's dead body. I slowly raise my head slightly so I can watch over the scene in front of me. Stood over the body is Foxface, Blight and Wolf.
"She killed her, the Everdeen girl" says Foxface.

That proves just how much they know about me, they don't even know I'm married, they're still calling me by my old name.

"Looks like a snare got her and Everdeen finished her off with that arrow" says Wolf.

"She must be close" says Peeta as he slowly walks up to the others. He pulls his hood back and slowly looks around at the surrounding trees.
"I want you to search for her, she's close, no doubt listening to everything we're saying right now"
Peeta walks away from the group and looks up into the trees as the others look on. "Isn't that right Katniss, I know your listening!" he shouts.

I start to feel panic rising in my chest, he knows I'm close but he doesn't know I'm literally feet away. He keeps looking up into the trees, does he think that's where I am?
"I'm gonna find you girl on fire, and when I do you're gonna pray for the end, I'll make your final hours so painful you'll beg me to finish it!"

"What about Cashmere?" asks Blight, Interrupting Peeta. He walks back to the others "she ain't going anywhere and we'll need her for meat, what with the spider disappearing and all" Peeta turns to face Blight and Wolf "You two start searching the area, and watch for snares, no doubt this isn't the only one she's set" The two male tributes turn and slowly head off in to the darkness. leaving just Peeta and Foxface. "You head over to the other side of the meadow and bring Brutus and Cecilia back with you, they're wasting their time searching over there, our prey is around here somewhere"

"Yes Peeta, I'll be as quick as I can" she says as she heads off at a trot in the opposite direction. The cloud cover suddenly retreats from the moon illuminating the forest in a ghostly grey glow. No doubt it's another ploy by the gamemakers so the masses watching the games can see more clearly what's going on.
Peeta crouches down next to Cashmere's body, grips my arrow and pulls it from the corpse. He stands and examines it, twisting the shaft in his fingers as he gazes at it. Then he bring it to his face and runs his nose up and down the shaft, inhaling my scent and chuckling to himself before he suddenly remembers something, his face twisting in anger as he grips the arrow in his hands and snaps the shaft in two.

"Peeta, over here!" shouts Foxface in the distance. I know what she's found, my camp fire with the remains of the bird. Peeta throws the broken arrow on the floor and strides off toward her and I take my chance to escape. So far the plan has gone reasonably well but Peeta's not following it as I thought he would. I'd hoped the snare would of sent Peeta and the career pack to the meadow but that's not happened, and the remains of the dead bird might not push him that way either, not while he's got the body of a dead tribute to feast on. I have an idea, it's risky but I need to force Peeta's hand otherwise the whole thing could fail.
I get to my feet and slowly make my way toward the two male tributes. If the snares and the birds won't drive him forward then I'll have to use myself as bait and if I can kill a few tributes on the way, so be it. I walk on hunters feet, all the while staying as silent as I possibly can. It takes a while before I catch up to Wolf who's stood in a small clearing, completely illuminated in moonlight which breaks through the gaps in the trees. He's searching the surrounding bushes, swinging his sword as if it's a massive scythe. I crouch down and creep closer trying to keep my body as small as possible, he's in range for a shot, it's just that there's too many trees in my way. I creep around the next tree with my sight now fully focused on the tribute ahead of me, he still has his back turned as I take one final step to get a clear shot.