Chapter 4

I make my way back to our quarters walk past the guards outside our door and enter to see Megan sat on the couch reading a book whilst Rue sleeps in the nursery.

"Hi Katniss, everything okay?"

"I'm fine, just a little tired. I think I'll go lie down for a while"

I go to our bedroom and lie on the bed and it's not long before I drift off. But my nightmare returns. Every time I dream the same thing, the fight between Wolfe and Haymitch with Haymitch selflessly sacrificing himself for me. This time I'm back in the forest outside district 3. I relive every detail but for whatever reason the dream continues and I see Wolfe grab Haymitch round the waist as he's encompassed by the bright light of his transport device. And then I hear his words as he disappears "this isn't over Mockingjay".

I wake with a start and sit up. I must rescue Haymitch I think to myself, I can't let him be used by the Capitol as Peeta was during the rebellion. I leap from the bed and walk straight past Megan and out the door. I make my way down to command, I must push Peeta and Plutarch into letting me fight, I think to myself.
I reach the door to command to find it guarded by two presidential soldiers. I step to the door but one of the guards extends his arm across the doorway blocking the way. I step back startled but look up to see Conrad looking down at me smiling.

"He's in a meeting with the cabinet members Katniss"

"I know Conrad, but I need to see them, all of them" I say pleading.

He thinks for a minute then nods at me and silently opens the door to the conference room. We enter and he holds a finger to his lips to keep me silent and leads me to a chair off to one side in the shadows. Only the centre of the room above the table is lit. A hologram of panem is suspended above with the table glowing from viewing monitors set into the table surface. I watch on in fascination as the meeting continues with Peeta sat at the head of the table. As I look round the table I see people I know, Ellie, Gale, Gibbs, Alek, Beetee, Lyndon and Plutarch. But the other three I don't know, these are the generals. All dressed in immaculate uniforms adorned with medals on their chests with their rank and insignia stitched onto their sleeves.
I've heard Peeta speak of these people before, Darius, Atticus and Remus. Always looking for glory for their armies in the battlefield and not really caring for the future of the country. It's no surprise that Peeta dislikes them so. I look at their faces, each nonplussed by the meeting and although I know the names I have no idea who's faces fit those names, I've never been introduced. They're all relics from the Capitol who joined the rebels to continue their careers and satisfy their lust for battle. Peeta feels they'll do anything to prolong the conflict.
The meeting continues with them discussing troop movements whilst trying to second guess Wolfe's next move. Just when I think the meetings closing Plutarch gets up to speak.

"We need to address the matter of the refugees flocking to district 13. As you all know the president and I feel that this is an opportunity to draft these people into a huge army that could help us defend the remaining districts"

"What do you propose Plutarch, that we give them a gun and send them out into the wilderness" answers a general in a mocking tone with a shaven head and a scar running across his scalp.

"No general Darius. What I propose is that we use Kattniss Mellark as the Mockingjay to inspire them to fight against Wolfe. They want to fight but we need to train them"

"Have you spoken to Katniss Plutarch? Has she agreed to help" asks another rolling his eyes.

Peeta stands and raises his voice "yes we have spoken to my wife and yes General Remus, she has agreed to return as the Mockingjay!"

Remus immediately shrinks back into his seat, silently nodding to Peeta in apology. This exchange between the general and Peeta has surprised me. I'd always thought that Peeta's role was some sort of ceremonial thing and that Plutarch was really running the country but I can see now that Peeta is actively involved. I feel so proud of him I'm almost bursting.
Lyndon joins in the conversation...