Chapter 28

After much debate between me, Peeta, Ellie and Plutarch the decision was made for Peeta to address the country and inform them of the latest events. It makes no sense for more to die needlessly in a battle that we can't possibly win. A feeling of defeat hangs in the air as Peeta starts to make his speech to Panem. This time it's different, Peeta sits on the edge of the conference table in command, his jacket removed leaving him in just his black trousers and white shirt. Plutarch sets up a small camera opposite and he nods at Peeta to inform him that he's on air.

"Good evening, as you may of heard the battle for the wall is over, the fight didn't go well for us and once again Odin Wolfe's army marches unopposed toward District 13. But what I'm asking you all to do is to stand down and stop fighting"

Peeta pauses for a second to gather his thoughts.

"I know this seem's a little strange after all thats happened and I know many have died in this war but we need to make sure that the thousands left live on. You need to continue to live in the memory of all those who have perished in our fight for freedom. If you choose to ignore me and fight on then you'll most probably die, Wolfe's militant army is too strong and too large to be defeated and we feel that the fighting in the districts has to end. As for us here in District 13, well.....we'll fight on to the bitter end as we have nothing to lose"

Peeta holds out his arm toward me, inviting me to join him in front of the camera. I step forward, my dirty tear stained face now on show for the whole country, I lean against the table while Peeta puts his arm around my shoulder. Peeta's clothes are clean whereas my mockingjay suit is covered in dirt and mud from the battle at the wall.

"Katniss and I would like to thank you for everything, you've made us so proud with the way you've fought and battled over the last year and it's been an honour to fight at your side. And so the time has come for me to resign as President of Panem as the country no longer needs leaders or heads of state, it needs strong ordinary people to rebuild this country. Wolfe and his army will reach District 13 in a few days and then the war will be over. There will be a final battle here in District 13 and that will be the final stand but we will not give up and we'll never lie down and submit to Wolfe's rule, we'd rather die first. And so this is goodbye, surrender to Wolfe and you'll be safe"

Peeta says nothing more, just gets up takes my hand and leads me from the room while the camera is still running. Once we're alone in the corridor Peeta stops and turns to face me, taking both my hands in his.

"What did you think, do you think the country will stand down and stop fighting?" he says anxiously

"I don't know Peeta, maybe. I think they'll be a lot of angry people right now, for over a year we've told them that the fight is going well and that we'll eventually win, but, we failed" I say looking down at our linked hands.

Peeta sighs, "I feel awful at how we've failed them, failed the country. My short rule as President was a joke, I could never lead these people like Paylor did" he says with tears brimming in his eyes. I rush forward and hold him tight.

"Don't you ever think like that, what you achieved in your short spell as President was nothing short of a miracle, you brought the country together in a way that Paylor never could do. You proved to them that a Baker could be a leader, a great leader who was a normal person who became something special, who became someone that people could look up to"

"Maybe, I just don't want anyone else to die" he says with his face buried into my neck.

I don't answer him but I know that I have a plan of my own that might just help to stop the war early, to save the remaining people in District 13 and perhaps save our friends from a horrible death at the hands of Odin Wolfe.