Chapter 43

Cato slowly gets to his feet and glares across the lake at Peeta who stands staring at us. It's almost as if it's a standoff of some sort with Cato and Peeta checking each other out from half a mile apart. I get to my feet and stand alongside my ally and look across the lake at the copy of my husband. Without saying a word Peeta raises his right hand in a silent command of some sort and Gloss and Enobaria both take off along the shore line toward us. Peeta walks on behind flanked by the other tributes with Haymitch in front. I stand mesmerised by the power Peeta holds over the others, how they all follow his orders and commands without question, how has he done this, did he just convince them somehow or are they actually scared of him? Cato grabs my arm and pulls me back toward the tree line and I stagger on behind him, still slightly bewildered by this latest turn of events.

Fortunately we have a bit of a head start on the careers but Cato runs in a completely different direction to what I'd of expected. I thought we'd just head for a tree somewhere and hide out but we thread through the forest into what appears to be a large clearing. It's only when we run out from the trees that I feel the hard ground under my feet. I stop and look down, noticing the algae covered red brick stones of a large paved area. Off to my left is an ornate weed covered stone wall which separates the paved area from the lake and in front of me is a dried out water fountain, not that much unlike the one's you'd find in the Capitol. Far off to my right is a large pile of rubble which appear to of once been a set of stone arches, as with everything else in the arena nearly everything is covered in green mould and weeds.

Cato stops on the far side of the clearing and turns, now realising that I've stopped following.

"Katniss, we can't stop it's not safe here"

I run on toward him, all the time thinking of a way to at least ambush Gloss and Enobaria. We reach the trees on the far side of the clearing and I grab his arm before he runs on into the forest.

"Cato wait"

"Katniss, we've gotta keep running, we're being hunted!"

"I know, but if we keep hiding we're never gonna get out of here. My plan will work, I just know it but these new tributes change things slightly. We need to kill and reduce their numbers, and this is the best time, while Peeta thinks he's got us on the run"

Cato stares at me, his face etched with doubt. "Okay, what do you suggest?"

"Is this the only way through here, can they get round us?"

"Yes, but it'll take them time. There used to be an old bridge that crossed over those arches but it collapsed cutting off that route, they'll have to come through here or go round but don't forget Peeta is a devious Mutt and he'll already be thinking of other ways to get to us"

I nod "Okay, we'll try and engage both Gloss and Enobaria then move on but we've gotta get back to the lake at some point to kill that spider"

"I know that, but lets kill ourselves some tributes first" he replies smiling

We both take cover in the tree line and wait for the appearance of our pursuers. My idea is that Gloss and Enobaria will have to cross the clearing to reach our tree line, for a few moments both will be completely exposed and away from cover but we must strike hard and fast and bring them both down before they can fight back. I take position behind a tree which looks out across the clearing. Far off to my left lies the rubble of the fallen arches while to my right is the derelict water fountain which blocks my view somewhat. Cato will cover this area from the fountain to the lake itself. The only problem for us is its a wide area for just two of us and if Gloss and Enobaria choose to attack the same area then one if us could become overwhelmed, especially if Peeta sends more careers into the fight. Cato pulls out a throwing knife while I string an arrow with my eyes searching the tree line opposite for any sign of movement.