Chapter 19

Megan brings Rue to my room and I listen to Gale whilst holding my baby. As I look at her I can see subtle changes to her face. Her hair has grown and she has bright Rosie cheeks as she stares at my face with her wonderful blue eyes.

Gale explains that after my fight with Thread the Rapiers swept the forest for more soldiers and found nothing. Clearly Thread was working alone and the only thing they did find was Thread's camp which was in a mess with trash spread out everywhere. They think he'd been living there for a while probably hoping for me and Peeta to return home to 12. He'd been patiently waiting in the forest until his moment arose, to kill me and Peeta. Gale says Plutarch thinks that I was the main target, that I'm even more powerful than the president what with the new squad and the latest Propo. This leads Gale onto the next part of the story, a shocking update on the state of the war.

"Katniss, there is a reason why Peeta is back in 13 and not here with you" I look at Gale in complete silence, waiting for him to continue.

"Wolfe either guessed or found out about your fight with Thread. And now he's playing the angle that your dead and that the Mockingjay has been beaten. He's killing us with his propaganda stuff at the moment and all the work that was done with the Propo and the new squad has been wiped out. Peeta's been back in 13 trying to convince the country that you're alive and well, but he's struggling"

"But why Gale, the country loves Peeta?"

"I know, but people are now thinking that maybe you are dead, it's been a while since you've been seen and without proof they're not gonna listen to anyone, even Peeta. Wolfe has sent out his town speakers again. All across the country men are preaching unrest and doubt among the people, the new rebellion against Wolfe is failing Katniss"

"I need to help him Gale, help me get out of this bed, I must get to Peeta" I say struggling to kick off the covers with Rue cradled in my one good arm.

"Peeta's broadcasting to the nation now" says Lyndon as he comes back in the room.
"Let me watch" I say looking at Gale to help me. I hand Rue back to Megan as Gale shakes his head, sighs, then scoops me up in his arms and carries me downstairs to the lounge. Megan puffs up some pillows on the couch and I lay out in front of the TV and watch. Peeta stands in front of the masses in district 13, the underground cavern close to bursting, everyone waiting on his every word.

Peeta begins....

"My friends and fellow people of Panem. I know you've been told many lies about how my wife is dead, that Wolfe has finally beaten her and that the Mockingjay is no more. But believe me when I tell you she is alive and well at our home back in District 12"

"But why does she hide away from us?" Shouts a bald man near the front.

"And why do you lie to us" screams a women a few rows further back. I half expect guards to rush forward and silence them but then I remember, this is the new Panem. Where free speech is encouraged and people are allowed to express their opinions.

Peeta puts up his hand to silence them, calmly removes the microphone from it's stand and wanders forward to the area where these people are standing. He crouches down at the end of the stage while the camera follows him.
"Listen to me, you can call me many things, a killer from the games, a baker, even Mr President if you wish. But you all know that I have never lied to you, and I never will"

Even at this distance I can feel the tension in the cavern, the whole country waiting on his every word. this really is Peeta, at his very best.

He continues....

"It's no secret of how I feel about Katniss. I've loved that girl from the moment I laid eyes on her and to be without her would be unthinkable. You all know this as our lives have been played out on television in your homes as part of the games and then as the rebellion. It is true that she's been injured, and yes, she is recovering. But I found out just a while ago that she's now conscious and speaking to our friends back home"
I turn and look at Lyndon, he obviously contacted Peeta to tell him I'd woke up when he stepped out of my bedroom earlier. I go back to the TV.