Chapter 58

Lyndon strides off in disappointment while Peeta just stands there and looks at me. He slowly steps forward and takes my hands in his.

"I'm sorry Kat, when Plutarch told me he was gonna pull the squad I knew I'd better be here for you. I know why you did this and I completely understand it. I tried to explain to Plutarch but he and Lyndon just wouldn't listen"

"So what happens now?" I sigh

"We go back to 13 at first light, collect Rue and fly back to District 12. The war's nearly over, they don't need us anymore"

I reach forward for him and he wraps his arms round me "but what about Wolfe Peeta, he could still come and get us one day" I mumble into his shoulder.

"That's not our problem baby, let's head home and try to feel what it's like to live like normal people, I don't think we've ever really done that"

"Yeah I guess"

I lead Peeta into the building and I show him to our makeshift barracks that the squad is using. They all come over to greet him but I can tell the squad seems a little sad. No doubt Lyndon must of already told them the news.

"I'm sorry Catnip, they seem pretty angry with you this time but we've all agreed that we're with you. We know why you brought us here and we know you'd of done the same for any one of us"

"Thanks Gale"

"What's bothering us is that the job still isn't finished. They wanna finish the Mockingjay squad and send us all home? fine. But some of us wanna keep going until Wolfe's dead"

"We know what you're saying Gale, but Katniss and I feel it's time to go home and leave the fight to the others. If they want us to go then we have no problem with that, they can have their little war with Wolfe" says Peeta.

"But can you trust them, are you sure they want to really end this? Just look at the General's I'm sure Atticus and his two friends would do all they could to see this war continue"

Steph hear's our conversation and comes over.

"I think everyone wants this war to be finished Gale, why else did we sign up. I'm not here to see it continue, I want to go home with Jess, Dad and Alek and do something normal for a change"

"I know what your saying Gale but I can't believe there's people in the rebellion who want to keep fighting, I'm tired of it" says Peeta.

"Listen guys, I'm just telling you what I'm feeling. I've seen things happen in 13, things that didn't make much sense to me. I think the Generals want to keep it going"

I look at Steph and shrug my shoulders. I have to admit that I've felt that the military top brass have always enjoyed this war. The only time I've seen any of them waver was when Remus lost control for the battle of District 11. That day when the wall fell he seemed to be clueless and his indecision cost the lives of both Gibbs and Gomez.

"Okay, so what do we do?" I ask no one in particular.

"I think we fight on, on our own if we have to" says Gale

"That's all well and good but we need a dropship, we can't function on our own without Alek" says Peeta

"I can fly it don't forget-"

"Yes Gale I know you can fly it" says Steph interrupting him "but I can tell you now Alek will be there with us"

"Are you sure?" says Gale.