Chapter 31

It's been two weeks since that amazing day in the forest in District 13. Scar's mutt army are still making slow progress across the country and for the time being, me, Peeta and Rue have returned to our home in district 12 to spend some time together. As the days drift by I really start to believe that this really could be the end of this war, that we can spend our time together at our own home here in 12. Lyndon or Plutarch contact Peeta daily to update us on the progress of the mutt army and how far they are away from the mutt farms back in District 1.

Both Peeta and I agreed to help Scar take the mutt farms and we'll stand shoulder to shoulder with the Mutt army when the time comes but for now we'll just spend what time we can together bringing up our daughter. Most of our friends and family stayed back in 13 for a number of reasons. Lyndon remains behind with Alek supporting Scar on his advance across the country while my mother remained behind treating the many wounded from the training ground attack. Megan stayed in 13 because she seems unable to return here without Gale at her side. "It's too painful" she said to me when I pushed the issue adding that she wouldn't return to 12 until Gale was safely at her side and they were together once again.

And so it was just the family Mellark that returned to 12 with the remaining Rapiers who still act as Peeta's security. Although he handed the presidential key to Elise, thereby resigning as president Plutarch still feels that he's in danger of of being kidnapped by Wolfe and used as a bargaining chip in some sort of peace deal with the rebels.

Wolfe has been strangley silent recently, with no strange phone calls or video messages to District 13 although we all have an idea that he's probably planning something else that'll catch us completely off guard. Plutarch has been trying his best to second guess him but we know from experience the he'll probably spring something on us that can't be planned for.  He knows about the Mutt army switching sides as he's tried to bomb the mutts on at least two occasions but true to his word Alek has seen off the attacks with his new fighter wing.

As I walk into the village square I look around at the villagers all going round their daily business, The coal merchant, standing around bored with little to do now the warm spring sunshine has returned to the District. The butcher, busy with a long line of customers waiting outside the store to be served. The grocer, his voice booming across the town square trying to grab everyone's attention as to the latest bargains to be had at his stall. And then there's the bakery. Peeta returned here just a few days after we got back and he's been inundated with visitors wanting to shake his hand and talk with the former president of Panem. Many want to hear the stories of life in the war rooms of district 13, how the war was won and how the Mutt army was persuaded to switch to the rebels. Peeta told me that he tries to gloss over the details as to what really happened but even so you can feel the pride from the district in how well he handled the war while he was in charge. As for me, I've just kept myself away from the spotlight for the time being. Peeta thinks I'm being foolish but I feel that the country has had enough of Katniss the Mockingjay. For the last 18 months they've had me rammed down their throats with countless propo's and speeches being beamed onto their tv screens. Today is the first time Rue and I have returned to the village square to see the bakery, and to begin with I worry that the visit was a mistake, some gasp as I walk past, other's smile and nod in my direction as I pass by but my mind's put to rest when I finally walk in through the door to the Bakery to see the smiling face of Joel stood behind the counter leaning on his elbows.

"Hello Katniss, you finally decided to visit us?"

"Hi Joel, sorry I haven't been round, kinda thought I'd stay out of the way while you two got things sorted out here"

"Nah, there was no need for that, the villagers had kept an eye on it while we were away so we pretty much started back as before, we just had to clean up a bit"