Chapter 2

We walk into the town square and immediately a crowd begins to gather around us. Yes, the townsfolk adore Rue but they see her often, it's Peeta everyone wants to see. The look on their faces, some are shocked that he's even here, others look on in pride that the president of Panem is from district 12, their home.

Pollux films whilst Peeta talks with the shopkeepers, many of which know him through his many years working at the bakery. After a while we walk on to the Barracks where we're filmed carrying out an inspection of the garrison. Soldiers line up in neat rows whilst we walk up and down making idle chat with them but It's not long before Rue starts to become grisly and Steph picks her up out of her carriage and rocks her gently to sleep. It's late afternoon by the time we finally return home and it's clear we're all tired from the day's events. A drop ship lands on the green to take Caesar, Steph, Pollux and Cressida back to district 13 whilst Peeta and I go home with Rue. As I close the door I see the Rapiers starting their security patrol of the victors village as both Peeta and I are in the same place security will be much tighter than normal.
I build a fire to take the chill off the house whilst Peeta puts Rue down for a sleep and then gets changed into some more comfortable clothes. I fix us something to eat then realise he's still not down from our room yet. I go upstairs to find him standing over Rue's cot, staring at her sleeping. I creep up behind him trying not to wake our baby.

"Hey, what's up?" I whisper.

"Oh, I'm fine Kat" he says slightly startled.
"It's just, taking the job of president and all this responsibility it's so easy to lose sight of what's really important. Watching Rue sleep so peacefully without a care in the world has made me realise. All this is for Rue's future, and for her kids, what we do now will effect Panem forever and I just hope that we're victorious. A future under the rule of Wolfe would be unthinkable, with a return to the games and the people living in slavery once again"
I put my arm around his waist and rest my head on his shoulder. "I'm so proud of you, I know you didn't want to do this but you've surprised so many people. Haymitch would of been so proud of you"

I take his hand, "come join me by the fire" I say as I lead him from our room.
Peeta sits on the love seat whilst I curl up next to him and rest my head on his shoulder. We sit in silence watching the flames whilst the heat slowly warms us through.

"Thanks" says Peeta from nowhere.

"Thanks for what?"

"For coming back as the Mockingjay, I would of understood if you didn't want to"

"I'll do anything for you. Not for the president, or for Panem but for you, my husband" he smiles and kisses me gently.

"Peeta, why do you think Wolfe took Haymitch's body, do you think he was trying to upset us by not giving us his body to bury"

"I don't know Kat. Who knows how Wolfe's twisted mind works"

I go back to watching the flames. So many things don't make sense from that evening in the forest outside 3. Wolfe taking Haymitch's body was one thing but it was the Mutts that also confused me. I was unarmed and surrounded but they didn't attack, why?

*

The next morning we take a walk in the forest with Peeta carrying Rue in his arms. There's no fear of any Mutt attacks as we have both the Rapiers and Gibbs squad watching over us. In each direction I look I see soldiers watching the forest for any movement, weapons drawn. I find it strange that the level of security we have is so much more than what Paylor ever had.
I take Peeta's free hand and look up at him but he's gazing down at Rue wrapped in her blanket and I smile at him. I forget that Peeta's missed out on so much while me and Rue have been in 12. Of course he's been busy trying to halt Wolfe's advance across Panem but maybe it's time for me and Rue to spend more time in 13 with Peeta. I decide to tell him about my plans for my return.
"Peeta, I have an idea for my return as the Mockingjay "